Page 60

"It could have been anyone else who had picked those up!" Jist proclaimed furiously. Zack smirked. "No, your need to collect information for whoever you work for was your undoing. I got to witness every one of your cover ups and your spying. Let's start at Genais' kidnapping, because before that, its just as you say, the evidence is too vague. You claimed you took a SIP of the drink, yet you were affected the same way? Impossible. It was made worse when you highlighted your 'marine training' which would have made even a full dose less effective. You also seemed to have full knowledge about Pelv's incident, which Kelv curiously told me that the incident was covered up by the Government! I also noticed that you were with Genais when she was captured which no one, not even your men knew where you were hiding. Another thing was that the pirates killed all the marines as soon as they saw them. So why did they only shock you? Because they still needed you to waylay reinforcements and if that wasn't possible, to show them our rescue operations. That's the reason you were so adamant about questioning the cook who, I might add, was deliberately sent away by you. My contacts found him under orders by the 'marine captain' to use a special lifeboat which was reserved for VIPs. You were also with the two of us when we shot the pirate captain down. His phantoms were specific and he needed to order them sepcifically to attack a target; how did he know we were there? Simple, the holoACT showed him where we were and what we were planning to do, just like how it broadcasted where you and Genais were hiding, and if it weren't for my written orders which I palmed to Fint, the two of us would be dead." Zack took a deep breath. "So once again, you are under arrest, Jist, for conspiring with the enemy and being an accomplice of the kidnapping of Genais Harfet who is a top priority Government individual."

By now, the rifles had drooped down and the marines were looking at their leader expectantly, hoping that he would stoically refute these bogus charges. Jist was trembling in rage and....something else? Zack couldn't identify what emotions raced through him. He shocked everyone though, when he let loose a guttural cry and launched himself at Genais. They tumbled onto the ground and Zack had a feeling of deja vu as he stood up with Genais at knife point. His eyes roved around like a hunted animal. "Nobody move or she dies! And that means you too, Warper." He.added when he caught Fletcher's eye. "I'll slit her throat if you even move." Fletcher swore. All the marines looked dumbfounded. Here was the leader they had followed obediently, holding their charge at knife point and spittle frothing at his lips. "Why?" Fint growled, "Why did you do it?"

"Because they had my family!!" he screamed, "They would have killed them!" Zack's eyebrows drew together darkly.

"And all those people at the temple didn't?? You are just as responsible for their deaths as the pirates! How many husbands, fathers and brothers have YOU killed??" Jist swayed but caught himself.

"S-shut up! You don't understand how it feels. To see your wife and your child.... No. I had no choice."

"And you trust the word of pirates? Odds are, they're already dead the moment the 'boss' heard that you failed your mission." Jist's eyes widened. He hadn't considered that. Then he shook his head frantically.

"No, no. I've got her. I just need to tell him that. Yes. Yes," and he half carried, half dragged Genais with him. "Anyone move and she gets it!" and he cackled madly as he walked backwards to the communication room. As his eyes left Fletcher, he vanished and he reappeared right behind him with a cutlass and severed the arm holding the knife. Zack was on him in a flash and though he was dimly aware of Genais' plea to stop, his bloodblade shot out from his top right wrist and plunged into Jist's neck. He gurgled once and fell to the ground, dead. Genais held a hand on her mouth as Kelv and Fint drew near her protectively. Zack turned on his ACT. "Any news on Jist's family?" he asked desperately. He was replied by a brief wave of static then a reluctant voice responded.

"I'm sorry sir. They're dead. From the looks of the bodies, they've been dead for quite a while."

"Where did you find them?"

"By the Outside borders. They were floating in the spacesea."

"Thank you. The mission is over, for the meantime," Zack said ominously as he shut off the transmission. Everyone was looking at him with deadpan expressions like nothing could scare or horrify them anymore.

"Jist's family was killed, well before this. They meant to double cross him." The marines just nodded and got back to cleaning up the mess.

"Why did you kill him, Zack?" Genais asked harshly, with tears in her eyes. She was in her cabin with Fint and Kelv. Fletcher was, unbeknowest to the three, watching quietly in the shadows.

"You could have just arrested him. He had lost everything; couldn't you have just spared his life?"

"Why should I have?" he asked softly. "He was a traitor, a kidnapper and a murderer. As a Spectre, I invoked martial law and executed him." Genais slammed the table and stood up. Her normally gentle eyes were hard and cold. "And who are you to pass judgment? Once he found out that he had been betrayed, he would have had no more obligations to them!"

"And were you willing to bet your life on that?"

"I would," she said steadily. Zack smiled. It was full of anguish that Genais wavered.

"Then you are brave...but naive." Genais' cheeks coloured but Zack continued, "Don't you think he'd see us as the killers instead? Because of our intervention, his family is killed. Wouldn't that have spurred him on rather than stop him?"

"Well, I-"

"And if I had spared his life, he would've taken revenge. Even if he accepted your pardon, his life would be miserable. He would be branded as a traitor, never again be trusted. He would mourn for his wife and child until he himself joins them, whether of his own will or not."

Genais was silent and slowly sat down. Finally, after a long moment of silence, she sighed. "I guess you're right. But don't you think he might have managed to live again? That he had the chance to forgive himself and us?"

Zack smiled sadly. "Maybe, but I didn't see it. Then again, I'm quite the pessimist." He looked at Genais again. "But don't learn from me. That innocence and hope is what makes you Genais Harfet. As for me, I hope you see a chance for me as well." With that, he stood up and left the room. His light steps didn't make a single sound on the metallic floor.

The ship touched down at the Juetan IV port. The mood of the passengers was very despondent as they disembarked. Genais had to smile to greet the crowds that had gathered, and she did so with great effort. Her marine guards, many noticed, had more deadset expressuons than usual and were more inclined to gather protectively around their charge and many wondered at it.

Zack had been ordered to guard her until the end of her Juetan tour and though he still didn't appear in public, he didn't keep his presence as sacred as before. He would usually be found drinking a cup of tea or some other beverage in Genais' room and sometimes Fletcher was there, sometimes he wasn't. Since there wasn't much to keep secret, Zack would mingle with the other marine guards and chat with them. His execution of Jist had quite a negative effect, but they eventually accepted him as a fellow Government soldier.

Jist's treason was never revealed to the public. He had reportedly been killed in action in the defense of famous celebrity Genais Harfet after he had led a heavily outnumbered team to kill a pirate captain with a bounty of 26000 gold credits and rescue her from his clutches. The truth was only known to those who were on the deck when Zack revealed his treachery, Spectre command and the High command. He had been sent and buried, with his whole family on the Gardens of Jutland which was a pland set apart for the burial of marines. It was a grassy plain with beautiful flowers, a fitting resting place for those who had led such war-torn lives. He was promoted post mortem to the rank of Colonel for services rendered. His wife and child were buried on his right and left, an exception to the strict GGPU protocol but Zack had managed to obtain permission after much arguing and persuasion.