Page 8

Zack's secret rooftop hideaway had been intruded upon, but he found that he didn't mind one bit. He was lying down on his usual random incline but this time, nearer the wall where Wayne sat in the shade, his pale skin and white hair standing out even in the shadows while his eyes were still hidden behind mirrored sunglasses. Sitting next to him, was Mikaella and even now, half an hour into lunch break, Zack could scarcely believe it. Mikaella usually hung with her crowd, which was comprised of quite a large group, since after all, she was quite like the Theo of her year, which was one year below. She was smart, charming, pretty and active: an example of a perfect 'popular' person who everybody would warm up to in an instant; and here she was, on the roof with a socially awkward nerd and a more-or-less isolationistic albino! While they both knew each other since they were children, but he didn't really expect to maintain a public friendship with her since, well, he was by all accounts, a nerd! "You know," Zack jumped when he heard Mikaella speak and she laughed for a bit before continuing, "I always wonder what you're thinking about when you look like that," Zack looked at her. He had no idea that Mikaella ever paid attention to him that much till now. He lay back down, trying to find a more comfortable position, "Well, what I always think about. Life," he shrugged, "Death, existentialism. The usual," Mikaella's smile dropped, Zack noticed at the corner of his eye, and she looked up to the sky. "I feel....kinda bad....for what I said that time. So I'm sorry if I made you feel bad," Zack looked at her, confused, "you know, the whole emo thing," she explained. Zack turned his gaze back to the skies, unsure of what to say, "I mean, I've always looked at things my way and umm," she looked down and fidgeted uncomfortably, "I guess I never really thought of things your way," she looked at her hands, "All my life, I've just gone through it, doing the best I can in everything. So I suppose I don't really have a motivation either. I guess I'm not that much different than you," "No Mikaella," and this time it was her turn to jump. Zack hid a smile, as Wayne spoke up. Like Zack, Mikaella might also have not heard Wayne speak befoe this. "You DO have motivation, and that is to do your best in everything. Zack, on the other hand," motioning at him, "has none at all. Nothing seems to drive him. Absolutely nothing," Zack frowned, "Gee, thanks Wayne. I feel so encouraged now," he said scathingly. Wayne looked at him straight in the eye and said, "Dude, I'm sorry, but that is the hard truth. You have to accept it....IF you want to change," Zack sighed, "I suppose so, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon. Anyway Mikaella, you're aiming to be a kindergarden teacher aren't you? That's motivation enough," Mikaella smiled and she lapsed into silence. They just stayed like that for the rest of the time, enjoying each other's company, rather than their conversations. Finally, the bell rang and the three moved to go to their next classes. Zack was about to be the first one to the door when someone put a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to see Mikaella looking at him, "Zack," she smiled but said with strength, "you might not be able to see any ambition or garner any motivation for yourself but remember: we're here for you. You don't need to do this alone," and she hugged him briefly and went through the door. As Zack recovered from his shock, Wayne punched his arm lightly, "Yeah, we're friends now, aight? Kinda funny that this is only the second day we talked to each other and I'm saying this," he patted Zack's shoulder, grinning, "but yeah, I'm in total agreement with what Mikaella said," and with that he dashed through the door, muttering something about being late for class. Zack watched him go and smiled. From that moment, all the tension he had from the traumatising meeting with the man, instantaneously vanished and he soon forgot all about him. When he went home that evening, he was still smiling.