Memories

"Isn't it neat?"

"No it's mad, but with you Katrina what isn't?"

She rolled her eyes, tossing an empty butter container at the boy sat in front of her. "Don't be dramatic! It's not like it would come back to you, Nick you gotta admit. It's a well sketched scheme"

Nick Hammond huffed, the fork hang between his fingers. His eyes traveled to the clock placed on the table then back to the girl in front of him. "It's struck twelve" he voiced changing the subject.

"Yeah?" Her eyes squinted, in confusion.

"It's the third of July" he deadpanned in return.

Katrina's mind was still whirring with details regarding her plan. She hummed in acknowledgement disinterested with everything that came out of his mouth unless it was a plain assent.

"Happy Birthday" Nick gestured with a sarcastic tone to grab her attention. Her eyes went wide then with the realization, she looked at the clock then back at him with a wide grin.

"Perfect! Now you can't deny me my wish. Nick" Katrina pouted with pleading eyes.

"You have to have a cake and candles for that. Also not say it. That always helps"

"We'll work with what we have" she organized their half eaten pancakes in the form of a mountain then put up her pencil upside down at the top. "I wish-" Katrina grinned further. "You'd be the helpful partner I thought I would get. Silent. Not broody. Obedient. Not objecting all the time. And at last" her fingers snapped in his face while he awarded her with annoyed features.  "The brilliant Nick Hammond I found at the principal's office with a punch of goat dolls at hand and no shirt on four years ago." She clicked the top of her pencil to initiate the uncalled for ceremony when a chuckle came out of her companion. "That was explainable"

"If you say so." Her smile still suited.

He returned it with a roll of the eyes. "Fine. Sure... and since we're by the wishing well I also like to wish to not get trashed in the aftermath, Katrina. You are after all a hurricane"

She scoffed offended. "I'm a breeze"

"Right.." He ignored her attempts to correct him and dug into the mountain of pancakes.

"Well then Nick. If I'm a hurricane then you're a nuclear. Plain and simple"

"How is that even relevant?" Nick spelled still munching.

"Nick. Nuke. Nuclear. See?"

"Whatever"

"I'm calling you Nuke from now on. Dude, you brought it on yourself"

"Yeah. Said the hurricane"

"Uugh"

"Just eat your freaking pancakes or I will"

"That's a fast way to get trashed" her steely gaze warned him. Till the smiles mirrored and a speck of agreement was exchanged.

Taking a deep breath, Nick Hammond sighed.

"Happy Birthday Katrina."

She repeated after him, picking up her milk glass to click it against his.