Wrong decisions

"Me telling you about the hideout has got to be the highlight of your career. It was makeshift indeed. And halfhearted at best. But damn it did it work. If I didn't see Matt walk in there with my own set of eyes I wouldn't have thought to step inside. I wouldn't dare to."

Katrina looked at her wristwatch, suddenly feeling heavy with exhaustion. It's dawn already and she hadn't slept a wink for almost twenty hours now. Soon, this will all be over and she can go back to her unburdend naps and real sleepovers.

"Swede Lake is at the end of the dog park up town right? Besides the bridge over there there is a running track going north, if you walked about 200 meters behind the fences to your right there will be a Santife factory. You know which one I'm talking about?

Back on the election days they were everywhere. And even way before, I think we all have grown up automatized to go for Santife fresh for the extra fresh.

So, to freshen up your memory I want to pull you back to when the mayor had made a big show out of overseeing the production process in the factory with the smart robots and high tech security and all. Remember that ad? It played for months. Da dada dada?

The thing is, it's bogus. All of it. Because if you looked at the bottom of a bottle of Santife you'd find written in the smallest font that it is produced abroad and when you peer inside that building you'd see something else entirely. But we were at the back of it for the most part so don't take my word for it.

//

:Prove it.

Murphy had said.

Katrina with eyes squinted was waiting to get shot and not get a shot. The building behind Murphy was blocking the moon. And it was such a beautiful night.

:wwhat? Nick stuttered next to her.

:if you think you're up to this then prove it. Impress me.

Murphy's shoulders shrugged again as if he was daring them on a game of basketball.

:by doing what? Katrina took his words for what they could offer. She was big on survival, and Nick next to her clearly hadn't woken up from the shock yet.

: I don't know. You'll think of something.

Katrina then saw the ghost of a smile on Murphy's lips which soon disappeared when Matt yelled his objections.

:or you know what? I'll think of something.
Murphy stressed on each word leaving no room to misunderstanding. Matt was still yelling in the background. It felt irritating how the attention wasn't completely on him.

:won't any one shut him up?!
Murphy yelled frustrated turning towards the source of irritation. Katrina watched in slow motion as Murphy turned the gun towards her supposed enemy and shot him.

Her voice was there, she could scream as loud as a cat in a midnight brawl but for the life of her she couldn't as much as whimper.

//

:you're saying Matt, Matt Whitteker as in the mayor's son died a week ago?

Katrina nodded.

:and when was that exactly?

:I told you last Friday.

:That's not what we have.

:it was meant that way. His parents were too involved to raise any unwanted suspicion.

:Katrina.. that's not really possible. The wounds were fresh. I've seen them. You know this doesn't look too good for you? Not to focus on the elephant you just threw.

I want to believe you but you're making it quite hard.

:I'm not making any of it up, I swear.

//

Her legs gave up, with Nick nursing his nose behind her. The dust trail around them was yet to clear after the vehicles had passed.

Katrina studied the sand in between her outstretched fingers. Her heart still thumping loudly inside her ears. Even louder were Matt's moans as he was dragged along.

:I think I've got a concussion.

:that's the only way to explain what you did back there.

She turned towards him. The motion proving difficult with a head-splitting headache engulfing her.

:we're alive aren't we?

Nick spat out blood.
:barely