Now we're talking

"It was the barely that rode shot gun from then on. We barely hit the grade with everything Murphy involved, we barely remained under the radar and all in all we barely hung on.

Nick was projecting his negative energy on me as I was busy proving our worth; my worth! because the coward had threatened to pull back. Multiple, torturous times.

Seriously! I didn't understand why he couldn't see my motive. I gave my word, with both of our lives on the line I gave Murphy my word!

And at six a.m. the following morning, Nick and I sat in his backyard to go through everything that went wrong and then somehow blame it all on me. But he was nice about, Nick. So I let it slide without biting back. "

//

:I don't know what you want me to say? what are we supposed to do? steal something? do you want to steal something?

:Ugh. Nuke. stop pestering me. I'm thinking about it.

:You're not thinking about it. no. you shouldn't even consider it. this isn't the playground Kat. We're not up for it.

his tone fluctuated, measuring the amount of reason it took to shake her resolve.

Katrina remained quiet gazing at the leaves as they danced along the wind, feeling as helpless.  But somehow willing to fight. She took it as a good sign.

:Your nose looks nice. She then opted for changing the subject to buy herself the time to think.

:Well, it wasn't broken thank god. Nick's hand went up to check on the bruise. Applying the slightest pressure on it.
:but I can't say that about your head. he countered a minute later.

:what?

:you've obviously gone mad.

:you say that yet you're.... hesitant about it.

:what do.. no I'm not.

:yes you are. you want me to make a plan. you want to hear it.

A clutter inside the house was heard.

:haven't you been listening to what I am-?

:tough luck. because I have.

: have what?
Nick's attention shifted back to the backdoor of his house, waiting for a figure to appear. His mother is probably awake. The strange friend out in the garden needs to leave.

: I made a plan. A plan so good you won't regret it.

Looking back at the girl sat next to him, Nick sighed.
:we're way over that now Kat. If I was to label this phase of my life. I would call it Regret with the r capitalized.

:at least it's not in plural.

Her answer came way too fast for his liking, only proving how little thought she gives to her words and actions.
To that he snorted which turned into a full laugh.

Satisfied he saw some humor in their situation Katrina joined him.

//

"Me and my plans....

You know it won't end well when you bring your date out to hell. Take it from me."

Katrina giggled like the young thing she is. She moved to stretch out her arms, yawning in the process. DA Simon took his time to analyze her movements, all aware of the frown resurfacing on her lips. The Chief investigator of the case, Phill wasn't very keen on hearing her out. He'd warned him of how misleading the girl could be; She talked her way out of any jam rumor has it.

Seven years of following dead leads and catching small fish left him with nothing. Simon didn't think twice to give her that deal. Even if it raised brows and brought up smirks of indignations. They didn't see it like he did. Something about her story stuck out. It lead somewhere. Something in her eyes said it was all too true.

The door opened, his collegue walked in with a folder at hand, and a skeptical look on her face. The DA took the file from detective Melrose with an easy smile and spread it across the table. He handed the confused teenager sat in front of him a pen to sign.

Katrina with eyes skimming the paper, exhaled understandingly. Maybe she does remember feeling relieved just a tad bit.