02

C H A P T E R  T W O

One of the things I hate most about going to Elysian is the annual 'Welcome Back' peprally

One of the things I hate most about going to Elysian is the annual 'Welcome Back' peprally. It's crowded and hot, and there are too many bodies packed into the stands. 

I almost envy Autumn in this moment; as a Dragonette Fire Dancer, she's standing at attention on the gym floor. She has room to breathe, to move -- to dance -- which almost makes up for the thousand pairs of eyes focused her way.

Yet, I already know I don't have what it takes to be a Dragonette. Other than the fact that I have no rhythm, I tend to panic (and then lash out) whenever too many people stare. Unlike Autumn, I've had bad experiences with that kind of attention.

So for now, I guess I'm stuck up here with the rest of Elysian's class of 2019.

"Can I get a D?"

This is how our vice-principal begins the peprally. As the senior boys below me openly crackle, the girls sitting above me struggle to stifle their snickers.

Vice-Principal Wex is trying to spell the word DRAGONS (as in the Elysian High Dragons), but it's clear he should have gone in another direction. Although he manages to get through the rest of the chant, by 'G', half of the student body is no longer paying attention, and the other half is quick to join their peers by 'S'.

Luckily, Wex is saved by the bell. . . or the alarm. The fire alarm. Yet, as everyone around me jumps to their feet and begins to race down the stands, a particular group of boys hangs around.

"That's $30 in the bank, Giles!"

A spectacled boy runs a sleeve over the lens of his glasses. "It wasn't a bet, Kelley!"

Of course. I realize then that the alarm isn't real, nor is it part of a scheduled drill. The alarm is courtesy of Elysian's claim to fame, notorious prankster Kade Kelley. I watch Kade reach his friends until someone pushes me from behind.

Not everyone has reached the same conclusion I have, and students continue to rush towards the exits of the gym. Yet, this exodus is not structured, it's in no way controlled; Elysian has thrown all training and conditioning out the window in this fake fire evacuation.