Great Responsibility

Nick sat by himself in the Gotham Police Department. He paid no mind to the police officers casting looks of pity on them. He internally prayed that this was all just a nightmare.

But it wasn't a nightmare...his parents were really dead.

"Nick Styles?" Nick looked up and saw an elderly woman with white hair and wearing a brown trenchcoat. "I'm commissioner Barbara Gordon. Let me say first of all that I am deeply sorry for your loss."

Nick just nodded as he continued to look down sadly.

Gordon gave the kid a sympathetic look as she sat down next to him. "I just want you to know that we will do everything thing we can to get justice for your family."

Nick still didn't say anything. Gordon knew that he was still grieving so she got up to give him some space. "Your grandfather should be here any moment."

"I saw them."

Barbara stopped and turned to look at Nick in surprise. He hasn't said anything since being here and now he's speaking.

"I saw a group of Jokerz riding on a bridge near my parents." Nick said solemnly. "I thought the bridge lead uptown, so I thought they were safe."

Barbara looked at the kid in sadness. "Unfortunately, that bridge was currently under construction. They must have turned back."

Nick seemed to get even more sad. "I should have called someone."

Barbara knelt down to his level. "Listen to me kid, none of this is your fault."

Nick didn't say anything as he continued to silently cry.

A elderly man in his mid sixties came rushing in to the station. He looked around frantically until he spotted Nick and ran towards him. "Nick!" The man called out.

Nick looked up and saw the man, then ran up to him. "Grandpa Joe!" Nick have his grandfather the biggest hug as they both cried in mourning.

"It's okay. Everything is going to be okay." Joe said as he hugged his grandson. They separated and he looked into Nick's eyes. "I'm so sorry."

Nick continued to cry as he tried to let it all out.

A Half Hour Later...

Grandpa Joe brought Nick to his home. They had to stay at the police station a bit longer so that way they could sign a few paperwork. Since Grandpa Joe was Nick's only living relative, Nick was going to be staying with him. They soon made it to the house.

Joe opened a door to a bedroom and let Nick walk in. He was carrying a suitcase that had some of his stuff that survived the fire. It wasn't that much however.

"This was your father's old room." Joe said. "I never changed it that much."

Nick looked around as he stared at the room. It had a simple desk with a lamp on it, a bed at the corner, a bookshelf on the far side of the wall, and a few posters with just random stuff. All in all, it was just a simple bedroom.

"Do you...do you want anything?" Joe asked.

"No thanks, I'm good." Nick said as he set his stuff down.

Joe nodded. "Okay, well I'll just prepare dinner then." Joe then left, feeling that his grandson wants to be left alone.

Nick sat down on the bed and opened his suitcase. He looked through it before he pulled out a framed picture and set it on the desk. The picture was of him and his parents as they were vacationing on a beach. Nick remembered that vacation all to well. His parents had to sell almost a million sandwiches in order to pay for that vacation. He was thankful that this picture survived the fire.