In for a Shock

Nick was pretty nervous about now. He's taken down muggers, Jokerz, biker gang's, and professional hit men, but this was the thing that made him nervous.

He was standing in front of the Gotham Gazette news building. Once upon a time it was the most popular newspaper distributor in all of Gotham, but when newspapers started dying out it now delivers online news, but it was still the most popular place to work if you wanted to be a reporter.

About three days ago Nick submitted his article to the Gazette to apply for a freelance reporter. It wasn't until he got up from bed this morning that he received an email asking for him to come on by.

He entered the building and made his way to the front desk. "Yes, can I help you?" The secretary lady asked.

"Uh, hi. My name is Nick Styles, I got a message to come by here?" Nick said nervously.

"Oh that's right." The secretary said with realization as she handed him a key card. "Use this key card on the elevator, it'll take you to your destination."

Nick nodded in appreciation and made his way to the elevator. He used the card and was then being sent up. After stopping the elevator opened and Nick could see a lot of people either on computers, going over notes, and proof reading stories that haven't been published yet.

"Can I help you?" Asked a man with short blonde hair, walking up to Nick.

"Uh yeah, I'm here to meet a guy named Ned Leeds?" Nick asked.

The man smiled. "That's me, you must be Nick Styles. Come on over to my desk where we can talk." Ned then led Nick to a small desk over by the side of the room with a divider around them for privacy. "Alright kid, I wanted to talk to you about that story you submitted to us."

Nick sighed, he had a feeling what this was about. "Yeah, I know it's bad. It was my first time doing this and I know I'm just an amateur."

That caught and by surprise. "Kid, if that was your first time making an article like that, then maybe you should be running this place."

"Wait, what?" Nick said in surprise.

"Kid, your article on Spider-Man taking on the Enforcers was something else. Our Publisher thought we were pulling his leg when we showed this to him. You should have seen his face when we said that it came from just a high school kid." Ned compliments.

Nick was feeling pretty good about the praise. "Wow, thanks."

"No problem, anyway here's your cash card." Ned said as he handed Nick a plastic card. "That's got at least two hundred credits on it, use them wisely."

"Thank you, sir." Nick said as he took the card.

"Oh please, call me Ned." Ned said with a dismissive wave. "Now, our boss would like to have a word with you."

"Wait, really?" Nick said in surprise.

Nick was led to an office where a man with orange hair, wearing a business suit, was sitting by a computer. He smiled when he saw who entered his office. "Ned good to see you. I assume this is the young man right here.'

"Yes sir, this is Nick Styles." Ned said as Nick entered. "I'll leave you to it." With that said, Ned left.

"It's nice to meet you, sir." Nick said as he shook the man's hand.

"It's nice to meet you to young man, my name is Thomas Fireheart, I'm the publisher and owner of the Gotham Gazette. Please have a seat." Thomas said kindly as Nick took a seat, not feeling as nervous as he was before. "Kid, I'm going to level with you, that article you submitted to us was impressive. How would you like to continue sending articles to us?" Thomas asked.