n i n e t e e n || the wedding

The next day
June 7th, 2019
Friday morning
9.03 A.M.
The Hampton's
Long Island, New York

Fifty-seven minutes left until the ceremony.

Zayn was keeping track of the time. It wasn't really the best idea since it put more and more pressure on him. Considering it was his big day. The day he had been dreaming of ever since he was a little kid. He just expected it to be... different. He was in his room, staring at himself in the body-length mirror. He was already wearing his white tuxedo, the only clothing missing was the blazer. His hair was slicked back and tied into a neat bun and his beard was freshly trimmed.

He didn't know why, but for some reason, he wasn't feeling it. His heart wasn't in it. All this time, Zayn has been waiting for this moment to happen and now, he felt like it wasn't right. At all. Nick was a great guy. Really. But for the past three weeks – hell, even longer than that –, he has been doubting everything. Literally. Were they really meant to be? Should they really get married? He wasn't sure. Nothing was clear anymore.

His thoughts were interrupted when a knock sounded from the door. He looked at the person through the mirror, noticing that his mother just walked into the room. As she saw him, a huge smile spread across her lips, her hands clutches together. "Look at you." She said softly and admired him, her eyes watering. "I can't believe my baby is getting married."

"Mum." Zayn blushed, moving his gaze down to his feet.

"I'm sorry." Trisha chuckled. "I'm just so proud of you." She walked up to him and cupped his face, smiling up at him.

Zayn returned the gesture with a small smile, sighing afterwards. He grabbed her hands and removed them from his cheeks. "I don't know if I can do this." He suddenly admitted, not looking at her.

"Why, sweetheart?"

"I just- I feel like this is not- I'm not sure." He stumbled over his words, not finding a good explanation to why he couldn't do it. He slowly slumped down on the bed, still holding his mothers hands. "I- I cheated on Nick." He finally said out loud, moving his eyes back up to meet his mother's.

"Zayn." The older woman scolded at her son, glaring down at him. "Why would you do that?"

"It- it just happened." The dark haired latter anxiously chewed at his bottom lip. "I don't- I don't know- fuck." He buried his face into his hands and rubbed at his eyes, trying his best to hold back the tears.

He sniffled. "I've been under so much pressure. With the wedding stress and- and Nick always being gone. It felt like too much. I know I can't justify my actions. But- but when I saw him again and he came- he came by to talk, we just- it happened."

"Who's he?" Trisha asked, furrowing her brows at the young man.

Zayn sucked his bottom lip between his teeth. He lifted his head and looked at his mother. "Liam." He said quietly, his voice barely even reaching a whisper. Yet, considering his mother had good hearing, she still understood the name clearly.

Trisha pinched the bridge of her nose. "You cheated on Nick with Liam?" She questioned, sighing heavily. "Do you still have feelings for him?"

Zayn pursed his lips, staring down at his feet. Honestly, after the night him and Liam slept together, he was confused about his feelings for the brunet. He didn't want to admit them nor pay attention to them, because he was going to marry Nick. But now, he was doubting everything. His feelings for Nick, the wedding – just everything.

He silently nodded his head in response.

"I- I think so." He muttered softly, fiddling with his fingers.