t w e n t y || epilogue

5 years later
October 12th, 2021
Tuesday afternoon
2.36 P.M.
Malik-Payne Penthouse
Paris, France

"Laila, stop running!" Liam panted heavily, taking a break from chasing after his four year old daughter, who was still running around the house as if she had joined a marathon. He chuckled breathlessly when he heard her giggle in response, rolling his eyes fondly at the little girl. He rubbed at his chest, inhaling a deep breath as soon as he calmed down from the exercise. He wasn't the youngest fella anymore.

"You can't catch me!" He heard his daughter yell from the stairs, another giggle following after the statement.

Liam lifted a brow. "And why do you say that?" He asked loudly, waiting a few minutes until she responded again.

"Because you're old!"

The brunet gasped. "Laila Malik-Payne you did not just call your father old!" He huffed and quickly made his way to the stairs. Laila was standing at the top of the stairwell, grinning mischievously down at the thirty-one year old. They had a stare down. It felt like they were in one of those western movies where the good guy and the bad guy were ready to have a shoot off. Only both were preparing to run away and chase after the other.

About two seconds later, Liam was quick to rush up the stairs. Laila immediately reacted and started screaming loudly, running towards her baba's office. The brunet watched her disappear into the room after she opened the door, making him grin because he knew he had her cornered. He slowly walked up to the closed door and knocked, leaning against the wall.

He could hear shuffling from the other side of the door as well as whispering before it went silent. The man hummed and looked up when the door opened, revealing his beautiful husband.

"Can I help you?" The dark haired beauty asked innocently, batting his lashes at the taller male.

"Where is she, Zayn?" Liam questioned, stepping closer towards his partner.

"I don't know who you mean." Zayn played dumb, shrugging his shoulders. He gave him a convincingly dumbfounded smile, pearly white teeth showing while tilting his head to the side.

It had already been five years since the two got together. Things were a little rough at first, but they managed to get through it quickly. About a year later, Liam proposed and shortly after they got married. Things were going great. Really great actually. They adopted Laila a few months after their wedding, when she was a year old and moved to Paris together. They were living their best life. Liam couldn't be more happy to have finally realized who the one for him was and still is. Over the years, his love for Zayn grew more and more. Now, he can't get enough of the Bradford man.

"Don't play dumb with me." Liam scoffed playfully. "Where's the little troublemaker?" He asked and gently pushed passed him, looking around the office for the little girl. He furrowed his brows and thought about where she could've hid, checking every inch of the room.

"Don't be ridiculous baby." Zayn commented from where he was standing, watching his husband with an amused look on his face.

Liam just dismissively waved his hand at him, still looking for their daughter. He then realized that there was a small storage room in the wall where she could easily fit into. He grinned and walked over to the door, kneeling down in front of it. He knocked on the door.

At first he didn't get a response. Obviously, their daughter was a very smart little girl. So he decided to go with another technique. "Oh well," he sighed dramatically, "guess I'll have to eat the left over ice cream all by myself. Since I have no one to share it with." He emphasized the no one, getting up on his feet. He pretended to leave, making loud footsteps so his daughter was able to hear it.