Accidents Happen*

Camp Half-Blood wasn't Camp Half-Blood without the bonfires. The bonfires were the few times demigods from all of the different cabins could be in the same space and not attack one another.

Nobody knew why these gatherings were such effective peacekeepers. Apparently there was something soothing about smores, campfire stories, and continuous renditions of popular tunes such as  "Zeus Went Down To Georgia" and "Grandma Got Ran Over By a Centaur".

All campers loved these events, but no one took  a liking to them quite as much as Leo. People could always rely on him to bring the marshmallows and crackers. He knew every word to "Sweet Home Mount Olympus". He always had stories to tell when other campers couldn't fill in the gaps.

One evening, Leo approached Chiron with a very special request.

"You want to do what?" Chiron asked.

Leo laughed nervously. "You know...I wanna, light the fire." Leo snapped and a small flame came to light above his hand, dancing just above his index finger. "Mr. McShizzle style."

Chiron raised an eyebrow. "And why would you like to do this exactly?"

Leo extinguished his flame and shrugged. "Would you hate me if I said my only reasoning was that I thought it sounded fun?"

Later that night, after many hours of careful contemplation on Chiron's part,  Leo was poised next to the fire pit.

"Now, son," Chiron said, "Slow and steady. I know how excited you get at these gatherings."

Leo rubbed his hands together and grinned. "Absolutely, Mr.C. I'm calm. Serene. Completely chill."

Chiron motioned to the pit. "Then by all means, let the festivities begin."

The campers trained their eyes on Leo. Many were whispering excitedly. One shouted something along the lines of "Light it up, Sparky!"

Leo pursed his lips and took a deep breath, focusing on the amount of fire he waned to let loose. Just enough to get the fire going, he told himself. Not enough to singe anyone's eyebrows.

After several seconds, Leo's fist was engulfed in flame. Several demigods gasped.

"Gently, dude," Leo mumbled. "No singed eyebrows. No singed eyebrows. No singed eyebrows."

A ball of white-hot flame shot from Leo's hand and ignited the wood lining the fire pit.

The campers cheered. The flames of the bonfire  shot into the air and seemed to lick the clouds.

Suddenly an Ares camper was standing on their bench, their fist in the air.
"Who let the furies out?"

An array of other kids stood on their benches as well and finished the chant, shouting "Who? Who? Who? Who?"

Soon everyone was standing and chanting. With the fire blazing and smiles on everyone's faces, Leo couldn't control his excitement.
He began cheering with the rest of the crowd.

"Who? Who? Who? Wh-oh-ah! No!"
Just as Leo's fist pumped into the air on his last "Who", he realized he hadn't extinguished the flames that had started in his hand but were now engulfing his entire right arm.

With Leo's powers temporarily out of his control, several fireballs were shot in unknown directions. Campers shouted and fell off of their benches, falling into the people behind them and creating a sort of human-domino effect.

By the time Leo extinguished his arm and looked around the amphitheater, most of the accidental fires had been put out. Only a Demeter girl had embers still smoldering on the shoulder of her jacket.

"Ha," Leo said to the centaur standing behind him with an exhausted look on his face, "Now I understand your concern, Chiron."