Chapter 41: Nationals

"Carmila."

"Actually, it's Camila-"

"Do not interrupt me with trifles," coach Cheryl bellowed in her megaphone though I was just standing right in front of her. I pulled a grimace and stepped back, rubbing at my ears.

"I will now you give you an instruction on how to survive. You can thank me later, preferably with a healthy amount of money. I accept cash and American Express and if you insist, ."

I looked around in confusion. I thought this was Nationals of the cheerleaders and not a wild jungle where I had to fight for my life.

"A cheerleading competition goes beyond the actual cheerleading," coach Cheryl sternly started, her steely gaze wandering to some tents to her right where our rivals were changing into their uniforms. The competition was held outside on a huge sport field, since it was such a sunny and windless day.

"The actual games begin long before the performances. And I'm not talking about a pre-show of the same dance moves that every cheerleading movie portrays, but about the mental fight that starts before they even try to fit their fat bodies into the cheerleading uniform."

Working hard to not let my focus slip, I straightened myself and ignored a bunch of cheerleaders in sinfully short skirts passing us.

"I'm sorry, Coach, but I don't understand," I admitted.

Coach Cheryl narrowed her gaze at me. "This is why you're our weakness, you fool. You are manipulable and quite easy at that point; don't think I didn't see you leaving slime all over the present cheerleaders at this competition."

"What?" I gasped, feeling wrongly accused because my eyes hadn't left Lauren since we got on the bus that transported us from Ohio to Michigan. Aside from now, when she was currently in the Cheerleaders tent, giving her team a pep-talk and making last preparations.

If I were single, then this would've been paradise for my eager eyes. But since I had the most attractive cheerleader as my girlfriend, everyone else faded into the background and just couldn't catch my attention anymore.

"No, stop reflecting your actions or justifying yourself." Coach Cheryl raised one finger and poked me in the shoulder with it. "You may not be actively feeling it, but innerly, you're as easily seduced as a penis-driven man."

Taking great offense in that because she had just questioned my loyalty towards Lauren, I took her finger and pried it away from my shoulder.

"I believe we're getting off topic." I coolly replied, the politeness taking away the stinging ice but at the same time leaving no room for further arguments. "Weren't you in the middle of enlightening me on how to surive this?"

Sensing the change in my demeanour, Coach Cheryl pursed her lips and took one step back, shutting off her megaphone. "I seem to have stepped on sore territory. I hope that my head cheerleader is the reason."

"The only reason," I calmly answered, stressing every word.

Then, unexpectedly, in a kind of 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' moment, a smile graced her lightly wrinkled face and my cold facade broke, being replaced by surprise and disbelief.

I had been tested.

"Excellent." Coach Cheryl murmured to herself. "You are dismissed now."

She turned away and began walking towards the Cheerleaders tent. In my confusion, I called after her, "But what about the Surivival Tips?"

The cheerleader coach didn't turn around as she yelled over her shoulder, "You'll manage."

With lack of comprehension all over my face, I stood there for another minute before I strolled to the snack tables that were practically untouched, because no cheerleader dared to add a single gramm to their body weight before the competition.