45.) New Plan

Beat.............Beat...............Beat..Beat........Beat........

The heart rate monitor sounded my heart beat.

I woke up.

I looked, seeing Rick and Daryl standing in the corner of the all-too-familiar infirmary. I gulped. They both had their arms crossed and leaned back against the wall. They looked up at me. They were about to say something but I cut them off.

"I'm sorry. After the pills started working I regretted taking them," my voice was raspy, it sounded like a morning voice when you have a throat cold.

"We know," they both said in unison.

They both sat down on the chairs that they had set up at the end of my bed. Daryl towards the right, Rick towards the left. Rick started.

"Henry explained what you said to him. You had a heart attack and have been in some sort of coma for 3 weeks now. While you were asleep we had a meeting. All about you. We decided that if and when you do wake up, we would all work together to help you get back on track. We just need your agreement."

I let out a small sigh. "I want to get better... but it..."

"I know," Daryl cut me off. "When Rick went missin' I left the groups and went on my own. They found me out there overdosed on heroin. I know what its like, Navy. I was addicted to it for over a year after they brought me back. I stayed out on my own, but with me and my old family I already knew how to stop. It was hard. I still do drugs, every now and then but somehow I've learned how to control myself. Not many people can do that with them. Somehow I have. None of us think you need drugs. Once you take them like you did... the want to do 'em never goes away. You overcome them by replacin' the happiness they give you. You surround yourself with people who support you and work just as hard as you to keep you on track."

"And that's what we're gonna do." Rick looked at me. "Saddiq is staying in the Kingdom for awhile, as of all of us. The children have already gone back to their homes, since Shadowgate is taken care of and the Whisperers agreed to be our allies. Saddiq just needs to stay here until the Kingdom gets their doctor back because pneumonia isn't going away."

"Get to the point Rick," Daryl mumbled.

Rick sighed. "We all have our parts. Saddiq is going to do morning and nightly checks on your blood pressure, pulse, etc. Daryl is going to give you the tips to help you not think about drugs. He is going to be your backbone for this. He knows what its like and he's gonna give you the most advice. You and him are gonna be together a lot. I am going to help you learn how to take care of yourself - defense wise. I'm gonna show you some old fashioned police tricks to help you defend yourself. Carol is going to take care of your food... she's gonna make sure that she cooks your favorite to get you eating again. Saddiq is going to tell her what you need to eat and how much. Henry... Henry is going to be in charge of your happiness. He along with the little ones... they're going to be spending a lot of time with you as well. They're going to do what they can to keep you happy. Maggie is going to be your emotional support. She will listen to you-"

"Be my therapist," I mumbled with a small cough.

"Basically," Rick smiled a little. "Jesus, Ezekiel and Aaron are... well... they don't really have jobs. I think they're just gonna support you." Rick sighed. "Does that sound good?"

I looked at them, and then looked down at my hands.

"Navy its gonna be hard. The path to recovery ain't easy, and you need people to help you. It ain't possible to do it by yourself. It's gonna be hard but it'll all be worth it in the end."

I let out a small sigh, then answered with a raspy ass hardly audible voice. "Fine."