Part 13 - Lucas' Secret

Maya and Riley were at school near their lockers. Riley kept looking at Maya, prepared to be there for her the second she needed anything.

"Riles?" Maya asked softly.

"Yes?" Riley replied with an eager tone.

"If you stare at me any harder youll drill a hole in my head," Maya said, annoyed.

"Im sorry," Riley said as she closed her locker. "You havent said a word about Lucas since... the incident."

"You mean him leading me on for a really long time and making me believe that he loved me, almost tearing our friendship apart, just to abruptly break up with me in the end? I haven't even thought about that." Maya slammed her locker shut.

Riley sighed. "I just.. I don't understand. He loved you, Maya."

Maya chuckled. "Yeah, I thought so too. He had us all fooled, didn't he."

The girls walked into history class together and noticed a seat was empty. Lucas'.

"Where is he?" Riley asked Maya.

"I don't know," Maya replied, looking back at the empty seat, remembering all of her memories with Lucas. Calling him names, looking back at him whenever she got bored, him playing with her hair... Stop it, she told herself. He doesn't care about you. He probably never did. Just get over it.

"Farkle, have you seen Lucas?" Riley asked.

"No, I thought he'd be with you guys. Did something happen?" Farkle asked with concern.

"We don't really know yet." Riley replied, looking at Maya, who was staring at the floor, not really paying attention to anything around her.

Suddenly Zay walked in. He was a mess. His books were almost falling out of his hands, the little hair he had was sticking out in weird angles, and he looked like he was in a daze. But the thing that stuck out the most, was the sadness in his eyes.

"Um, I'm sorry I'm late, Mr. Matthews," Zay said.

"That's all right. Are you okay?" Mr. Matthews asked, worried.

"Oh, I'm fine; don't worry about me," he said with an ingenuine smile. He walked towards his desk and sat down.

"What the hell happened to you?" Maya asked, looking back at him as he rubbed his eyes.

"Lucas told me to head over to his house this morning and he told me about the... thing. I didn't even believe him at first, but..." Zay scoffed and shook his head.

"What are talking about?" Farkle asked.

"What do you mean what am I talking about?" Zay asked, confused. He turned to look at Riley and Maya. "You guys know, right?"

"Know what?" Maya asked, exasperated.

"Oh... Look, I shouldn't be the one to tell you. You should hear it from him. Go to his place after school and ask him," Zay said.

Maya scoffed. "No."

Riley looked at her in shock. "No?"