7 - Home is a person, not a place

Despite the entirety of our time being spent walking, our enthusiasm was quite high. Although mine was for a different reason.
It was hard to keep my eyes off of him. Which was annoying because he usually was at the back of the group.

Chubs lead us, his map in hand. I walked with Zu and Ruby. But both moved around, I focused on the scenery.

We walked for the whole day, resting at night with a campfire. We took turns watching out for, well anyone. Well everyone except for Zu. I gazed at the fire, it being the only side before Chubs moving around in his sleep. I wasn't really tired. I offered to be first watch but Liam had insisted the moment I felt tired that I wake him up to take over.

They all needed rest though. Zu was still a child, Ruby held through despite using her powers on Lady Jane. Liam already was beat up by her and no way was I waking Chubs up.

I hear rustling from the tent that contained everyone but me. It was the zipper, I saw Chubs head pop out. He even had his map in hand. I nodded in his direction which he looked at, but did not respond.

"How much farther do you think?" I ask quietly, as soon as he zipped up the tent. He came over by the fire and sat down, sighing as he did.

"Well depending on how fast we move and if it is all still flatlands, we should be there by noon. If everyone keeps a moderate pace that is, depending on if we take a break as well-" I cut him off by holding up my hand.

His green eyes fade back to their natural brown. "Why didn't you tell us she was orange?" He questioned, changing the topic.

This was a tricky but plain answer. Tricky because I didn't like my own answer. "She was my next assignment. I was going to, well to try and train her." I start, my voice fading as I attempt to find a way to word my words.

"You didn't want to fail." His green eyes came back, for a few seconds only. I nodded, he was right as always.

Even if I wasn't at the league, I wanted to not have one of my assignments, one of my people, die

Even if I wasn't at the league, I wanted to not have one of my assignments, one of my people, die. "Working for the league I had to train myself, try and find what I can do. I was never good at training anyone else but they always improved."

I had to pause for a second, I hated talking about this. "The League pushed the process always faster than they should've. I never saw any of them again. Ruby is my last chance. You all are in a way to me." I shake my head, it was so stupid but what was truly stupid was how much it meant to me.

I'm still doing what the League wants me to do. "I'm not sure if I'm offended or glad I have a bodyguard." He comments, unsure of what he felt. I laughed a bit at that, it did make me feel better.

"Get some sleep. I'll take over. Besides I have some map working to do." He shooed me towards the tent.

Before I opened the tent that was only a bit towards my left, only close enough to the fire to keep warm, I told him "Wake me up when you get tired.". He nodded so I headed inside, I was a bit tired now.