Chapter 4 - Operation : D-Minus

A week has passed. Seven full days of regret and misery.

John and Maria felt empty and lost. What was there left to do? They've already ruined their chances, so what was the point of trying anymore? It's not like they can win over Alex and Eliza in less than 3 weeks, never mind cancel the wedding. It was impossible. Anything they try would prove to be utterly useless.

For now, they focused on school.

-

Knock, Knock, Knock, Knock.

"Maria?" John questioned, confused why Maria showed up at his dorm.

"John. Can... Can I come in?" She asked, her face unreadable. John replied, "Sure. Alex isn't here anyway." as he stepped aside to let the girl in. "Where is he?" She asked John. "Eliza..." He mumbled. Maria looked down, "Oh...".

They made their way to the beige couch, not forgetting to shut the door. "Why are you here? N-Not that there's anything wrong with you here! I just..." John stuttered. Maria chuckled at her friend. "Jeez, Jack. Be more chill. I just needed to talk to someone..." She said. "Did something happen 'between you and 'Liza?" John asked, surprising Maria. "How did you-" She started. "✧・゚: *✧Magic : *✧・゚:*" John interrupted, smirking.

Maria nodded before leaning back on the couch. John sighed, "You're not the only one." Maria looked at him in worry. "Oh Jack, what happened?" She whispered and hugged him as he started to tear up. "I-I'm fine. We just got in an argument and it started getting heated-", he trembled, "Then I confessed and he said I was selfish... H-He's right though. He loves Eliza and Eliza loves him. I shouldn't h-have got in the way...".

Maria looked at the now sobbing boy, in her arms, "We got into a fight too... I-I told her that Alex wasn't her soulmate, s-so she called me a freak...". Now it was John's turn to comfort the girl. "Don't worry Mari. We're the cool freaks!" he said, trying to lighten the mood. Maria giggled and let go of the boy

"Wanna watch a movie?" He asked. Maria replied, "Mhmm. How 'bout 'High School Musical'?". John's eyes lit up, as he rushed to put on the movie. Soon enough, they were already engulfed in blankets and snuggled up against each other { Platonically } with two tubs of chocolate ice cream, each.

-

"Goodnight, love." Alex said sweetly, as Eliza kissed him on the cheek, before heading of to his and John's dorm.

Alex loves Eliza, he really does, but he often wonders why he never feels that spark. You know? The spark that every cliché movie describes. The one where you feel like there are fireworks bursting everywhere and butterflies are having a rave in your stomach.

That feeling.

He's never felt that with his ,now, fianceé. The only person he's ever felt that with before was... John. Oh, how Alex wished he could hold him, call him his and tell him how much he loves him. But, the universe thought otherwise. It doesn't matter whom he loves. The universe would choose that for him. Now he was stuck with Elizabeth Schuyler for the rest of his life, because of the 'String Of Fate'.

There was nothing wrong with Eliza. Who couldn't love her? She was beautiful. Inside and out. She had long, raven hair, that flowed down her back like silk, and fine black eyes. Not forgetting her kind personality. She had people falling for her every step she took. But for Alexander, that wasn't enough.

She just... Wasn't John.

Alexander was too lost in his thoughts to notice he was in front of his dorm door. He fished around in his pockets, for his keys, and opened the door to step inside. He was greeted with the deafening noise of the 'High School Musical' soundtrack and the heart-breaking sight of John and Maria pressed up against each other on the couch. Alex gritted his teeth and shut the door, only to storm into his room.

He through his bag on the floor and changed into some shorts and a shirt. He threw himself on the bed and stared at the ceiling, blankly.

He fantasized about what could've been if it weren't for this God-damned string. He could embrace his dearest, John, without being afraid of having to leave him to keep Eliza safe. Without having to be tied to the shackles of his 'fate'.

These thoughts circled in his head. Alex, overwhelmed and conflicted, drifted off to sleep with tears staining his face.

-

Eliza kissed his cheek and closed her door. She turned around with a love-struck expression painted on her face. She rushed to the couch and jumped on the pile of pillows.

"Woah! What's gotten you in such a good mood?" Angelica asked strutting in the room with Peggy.

"I can't believe I'm getting married in three weeks! To Alex of all people! It's like a dream come true!" Eliza squealed. Angelica chuckled and sat on the couch and patted Eliza's head, before being engulfed in a bone-crushing embrace. Peggy just awkwardly sat down and continued to stuff her face with Pringles.

What no-one knew, was that Peggy was actually an A-Class stalker and the, self-proclaimed, #1 Lams shipper. She was a matchmaker and was not willing to go down without a fight. None of her ships have sunk and she wanted to keep it that way.

This could also be said for Hercules and Lafayette. The three of them were engaged in a top-secret undercover operation. Peggy was the leader and asked the two to join. Lafayette and Hercules couldn't say no. After all, it was Peggy who helped them get together.

The plan was called 'Operation : D-Minus' - as suggested by Herc, in order to keep the plan completely inconspicuous - and the main purpose was to make sure 'Lams' and 'Marliza' will become cannon. They were sure that, with the help of their guidance, they could make this work. But with only three weeks to achieve their goal, they were running on a tight schedule.

They would hold meetings in Laf and Herc's dorm to discuss their plans.

Speaking of meetings- "Oh! Sorry, I gotta dash!" Peggy ran out of the dorm leaving her sisters confused at her sudden outburst. She walked down the halls, barefoot, still holding onto her Pringles can, and strutted to the said dorm. She cracked her knuckles before performing their totally secret code knock.

"Open the door! Ya lovebirds!" She yelled at the door. Just then, the door opened and Peggy rushed in to close the door and turn off the lights. She then made her way to the 'Discussion table' and switched on the lamp. "Okay, boys. We have a lot to get through and a very tight schedule." Laf and Herc sat on either sides. "Have you got the tickets?" She asked. Herc and Laf nodded before holding up four tickets to a movie for the next night. "Perfect," She grinned, along with the other two,

"Operation : D-Minus is a go!"

~~~~~

Warning : Kinda spoiler??

Greetings and Salutations y'all. Sorry, this chapter was kinda short and all over the place. Also, I've pretty much ditched the whole plot 'cus my little Lams heart can't handle anymore angst. So if you want angst then... Idk.

Janthony is canon!!! Lin cried on his first show in Puerto Rico, the poor little Linnamon roll.

Anyway, thank you for reading my story, my friends! Update is soon!

(˵ ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°˵)ノ⌒♡*:・。.

~~~~~