Train Station

Simon

Finally, after weeks, it was time to go back to school. I'm itching to be back more than usual. This summer, the Mage sent me to a children's home just outside of Reading and, once again, I was unable to talk to anyone from Watford. It sucks not talking to Penny, but now that Agatha and I are a thing, not talking to them both felt intolerably isolating. Surely a teenage boy should be able to talk to his girlfriend, even just on the phone?

I tried calling the Mage about it (he gave me his number) but he never answered. For a while I was worried something had happened to him, until I got a book in the mail titled, The Ultimate Guide to Vampire Hunting. A note attached reading: "This may be important Simon."It then occurred to me that perhaps the Mage knows Baz is a vampire as well, and he, like Baz, is plotting.

With Reading being so close to London,  the Wellbelove's offered to pick me up from Paddington Station and take me to Watford. I sit looking out the window of the train carriage with my duffel bag on my lap. I'm scoffing down some Burger King, bought with what little remains of my holiday money. And although the Whopper burgers and chips are an affordable staple in my summer diet, nothing compares to the number one spot on my Watford top ten list.

No. 1 - Sour cherry scones. Fresh and flavoursome, served at breakfast and afternoon tea. Penny and Agatha are both appalled at the amount of scones I eat in one day and have declared the amount I have consumed thus far, "unrecordable".

No. 2 - Penelope. I met Penelope on my first day at Watford. She wasn't immune to the allure of the magic that is seemingly irresistible to other mages, but it was her cunning curiosity that led her to approach me. "I know you're Simon Snow," she declared. "Mum said nobody knows where you came from. And that you might be dangerous." We've been thick as thieves ever since. She can read me like a book.

I heard from Penny this summer. Turning the aisle at the local corner shop I bumped into an old man. "Simon!" he cried, his toothless gums muffling the words. "Who are you?" I questioned. Turns out she had possessed the poor old man and was talking right through him. As great as it was to hear from her it was truly disturbing. She promised to only do it again in an emergency.

No. 3 - The football pitch. I'm not that good at football, especialy not as good as Baz (he's better than me at everything. Tosser). But the pitch is glorious and shaded by trees all the way around, and I enjoy playing none the less. I'll be gutted if Coach Mac cuts me this year.

No.4 - My School Uniform. I come back every September to a fresh uniform laid out on my bed. It's a welcome change from my usual baggy tracksuits and hoodies. I'd never had a school uniform that fit me properly before Watford. Luckily we don't have to wear the boaters now we're in 6th year, which means Penny doesn't have to Stay Put it on for me each morning. Upper years wear green, white-piped blazers with red woolen jumpers and grey pants. I tend to ditch the optional cape.

No.5 - My Room. Well technically it's Baz's room too but over the last five years we've acquired a seamless waltz. Meaning we tend to avoid the room when we know the other is there. Sharing a room with your arch-nemesis is tricky business, and as much as I'm restless knowing (despite never catching him red-handed) that Baz is a vampire, I still sleep best when I'm up in the tower of Mummer's House. The crucible drew us together when we were 11, and despite protests to the Mage, we've been stuck together ever since. I think the Mage likes me having Baz under my thumb. Lucky for us, the Anathema also keeps us from fighting each other in our room. So there's no throwing fists when we get on each other's nerves. We haven't fought in a while though. Maybe he's saving his energy for when he kills me.

No. 6 - The Mage. I sort of wish I could take him off now. He didn't answer my calls all summer...

No. 7 - Magic. Being from the Normal World I'm the only kid at Watford who hasn't grown up with magic. For the first two years I had to keep convincing myself that it wasn't just some lucid dream and that I wasn't going to wake up in the children's home in a cold sweat. I'm not that good at it though. Magic. Penny reckons it's because I have so much power that a wand isn't a good enough vessel. Plus my wand once belonged to the Mage's father and usually magical projectors (wands, rings, belt buckles in Gareth's case) are passed down through the family, and well, I haven't got one of those.

No. 8 - Ebb the Goatherd. I first hung out with Ebb and the goats in my second year. Penny and Agatha think she's a pathetic melancholy mess, but there's something comforting about her and I make sure to visit her and the goats as often as I can.

No. 9 - The Wavering Woods. The woods line the football pitch outside the school gates, and I find myself wondering them with my sword when I've got too much on my mind. I think the wood nymphs hate me for some reason.

No. 10 - Agatha. It is just now occurring to me that now Agatha and I are dating I should put her above a goatherd and a bunch of trees, but they made the list first so I won't move her. Agatha Wellbelove is the prettiest girl at Watford. Pale, light-freckled skin with long milky white hair and big brown eyes.  We'd been friends for a few years but at Christmas last year we started to become more. I've spent every Christmas at her house since first year and last year, after copious amounts of dandelion wine we'd ended up kissing in front of the fireplace. Initially, I think my part in the Wellbelove's holidays started off as a charity case for her father, Dr. Wellbelove, but now he calls me "son" and it feels good.

And just as I'm thinking watching Doctor Who with Helen, the family maid, the train pulls up to Paddington Station.

I send Agatha a text.

"I'm here ❤️"

I regret the heart as soon as I've sent it.

My phone dings a moment later.

"We're outside the chocolate shop. I'm with Mum. She's wearing a bright yellow coat. You can't miss her. Can't wait to see you 💕💕"

She sent hearts back. Thank God.

***

Agatha stands outside Le Chocolat looking around anxiously, with her eyebrows furrowed together like always. Looking beautiful in a pale blue trench, layered over a white shirt and a posh pair of jeans.

She spots me and her face softens.

"Simon!" she smiles, and runs daintily towards me in her ballet flats and throws her arms around me.

"I've missed you." she whispers into my hoodie.

"I've missed you too." I reply, my face on her silky hair. It feels like forever since I've seen her.

"Simon, darling," Mrs. Wellbelove coos, "handsome as always!"

Agatha and I break apart and her mother kisses me on both cheeks. The truth is I don't look handsome. My lack of food at the home and distracting myself by aimlessly walking around Reading all holidays has left me skeletal. The half-grown out buzzcut isn't helping either. I look malnourished and poxed.

We catch a cab back to the Wellbelove's townhouse and I pack my duffel bag in her parent's Lexus. Helen drives us to Watford and I sit in the backseat with Agatha, our hand laced together, resting on the middle seat.

I think I need to reassure her that I'm still alive. For now.