Chapter 33 - Deacy

The car drove for a long time. It was a 35-minute drive to where we were going, but I didn't know where that was. On the way, Joe explained to me how they were going to film this scene. The first day was with the extras. They would run through the whole sequence multiple times with audience reactions and then over the course of the next week, they would shoot close up shots that didn't need the audience. When we came to a stop, we were at an airfield that seemed deserted.

"This is it?" I softly asked.

"It must be," He answered as he stepped out of the car. Michael came around the car to meet us.

"Just walk down this way and there will be trailers for makeup and costumes and you should be able to see the stage. I just can't get any closer than this." He pointed down along a chain link fence. The opening of which was right in front of us. We thanked him and walked inside and onto the airstrip. It felt like we were in the middle of some practical joke. Like, there wasn't even a movie at all and someone would jump out and say it was all a prank. It would make sense since this all felt too good to be true.

We walked along, Joe in front of me. I needed to lay low and now was the time to practice. We eventually saw a raised stage in the distance. My mouth dropped open as it looked just like the stage from Live Aid. A concert I had only seen on screens and archival footage. I knew the stage all too well. And I saw the posters that hung on the sides of the stage donning the Live Aid logo. A beautiful logo in all standards of graphic design. I jogged up closer to Joe.

"Wow," I breathed. "I'm already blown away." He smiled and patted my back. As we got closer, I could see green screens in front of the stage. There were trailers off to the left of the stage, but far enough away that they wouldn't interfere with the shot. Once we had reached the set, after walking for what felt like forever, Joe turned to me.

"Ok, I have to go and get ready. I'll find someone for you to be with so you know what's going on." He started looking around at all the crew walking around us. "Oh, Gina!" He flagged down a small Asian girl with a very beautiful face. She looked like she could be an actress herself, but I was surprised to learn that she was just a production assistant. "Gina, this is Julie, my girlfriend. She's going to be in the crowd and I was hoping you could show her the ropes and find out where she's supposed to be?" Gina smiled at me and then back at Joe.

"Surely," She held out her hand to me. "It's nice to meet you." She had a lovely British accent. One of those that you could listen to all day and never get enough of. I shook her hand and smiled.

"It's nice to meet you too. Thanks for helping me." We broke the shake.

"It's no problem, it gets a bit confusing around sets sometimes. Especially ones this big. Plus, it's my job to help out." Joe smiled at us; glad that I was getting along with her. He broke out of his trance and realized that he needed to go get ready.

"Ok, I gotta go. Jule, I love you," He kissed the side of my head, pushing it slightly to the side. "Bye."

"Bye, good luck," I yelled after him as he jogged over to the trailers. I looked back at Gina with nothing to say. My mind was blank. I was hoping she had something to break the tension. Thankfully, she did.

"So, how about I show you around?" She smiled.

"Sure, that'd be nice," I replied. Gina showed me around the set. She showed me all the different cameras they would be using that day, how many crew members there were, the lights, how the playback would be heard, and even the chairs for the actors to sit in during breaks. I looked at those chairs for a while. I scanned them, seeing Joe and Rami and two other guys I hadn't met yet, Ben and Gwilym. But, then I hit the two names that made my heart stop. Brian May and Roger Taylor. This meant they were here. I stepped closer to their chairs. I don't know why, but I did.