Chapter Fifteen...Guardians...

Nimue and Percy

Chapter Fifteen: Guardians

 After a few days I forced myself to put Mordred temporarily from my mind, or at least as distant from my mind as I could. I moved back into my chambers in the main castle and resumed all of my duties of chief councillor to the king.

                ‘My goodness thank the gods you are well and about Merlin!’ exclaimed Tor as we came across each other on our way to the Privy Council that morning. Arthur had fed the court the lie that I had attracted a great illness to account for my disappearance just before and after the birth. Judging by Tor’s face all had believed the tale of my aliment – and why shouldn’t they; after all the court only saw an aging man who had been through a tough and exhausting year. No wonder, they would have thought, that the king’s councillor has taken to his bed after defeating an evil sorceress, losing his only family and being appointed to the post of overseeing the reconstruction of Camelot. In truth the year had taken its toll on me, when I looked at my own image in the mirror I could see an age to my face that had not been there before. Drusilla had laughed and assured me that it was it was simply me becoming a woman, moving away from my girlish, immature features. I hoped she was right.

                ‘Prince Tor good day to you,’ I replied quietly. I sounded tired and that was the effect I was going for. I would continue to convince them of my increased fragility if only to protect myself from the king’s mother and the criticism of certain members of court. I would fight to show them that I was still perfectly capable of my royally appointed posts but I also would ensure that none saw me as a potential threat, either to their own rise or to the monarchy itself.

                ‘Where are the others?’ I asked looking about us, the corridor was empty.

                ‘We are late,’ laughed Tor without looking concerned.

                ‘Late?’ I raised an eyebrow, it was not yet past the queen and ladies breaking of fast and it was after that when the council usual met.

                Tor nodded, ‘did the Lady Igraine not send to you the note?’

                I shook my head. Tor did not look surprised and nor did I. ‘When was this?’ I asked allowing the exasperation to be heard in my tone.

                ‘The day before yesterday,’ he replied, ‘when Arthur announced at council that you would be re-joining us at our next meeting. The king left and then she, the Lady Igraine, suggested we meet earlier from now on.’ I sighed; I knew what she was trying to do. She was trying to exclude me from the kingdoms politics but that would never happen. I did not intend to be phased out.

                ‘As Arthur has been away examining the damage done to the outer villages these last two days I doubt he knows either. Or else he would have undoubtedly told you – we all know his mother’s opinions of you…’ he added the last piece in a half whisper which was coloured with disgust.

                My stomach twisted violently, anger flared its head and settled back down again, as I reminded myself that I had to keep up appearances until Camelot was safe again.  I dearly wished to speak to Tor of the truth but I knew I could not. His joy would be undisguisable.

                On entering the chamber we found that several of the other members were also late having all found the change in our well-worn routine a pain to rearrange. Igraine was there, Bedivere and Lamorak but Geraint, Gwaine, Tor and I all arrived at the usual time or just afterwards. We could not start until Arthur arrived anyway so Igraine’s plotting was pointless and the men at the table quickly and casually overturned her decision and reinstated the original meeting time.  

                All of us, except Lady Igraine, rose as Arthur entered in a fluster, he laughed. ‘Sit I beg of you friends.’

                He shot me a pleased smile; I knew he felt comforted by my return to the council and to  public life.

                ‘What is on the agenda today?’ Bedivere inquired with a tone that suggested he was already finding the morning’s events dull enough without sitting through hours of council discussion.

                Arthur, ignoring his negativity, began to speak of the importance of stretching the repair work into the outer villages, ensuring that all the people’s houses and farms were once more habitable and productive again, for the good of Camelot as well as for the people themselves. Thus we spent the morning pouring over plans and maps, constructing lists and assigning various tasks. Igraine, though she had little interest in the commoners welfare remained in the room, constantly observing the scene before her. Her presence set my teeth on edge.

                Once the meeting had concluded I retired to my room and awaited Lucile and Percy who had agreed to meet me there after their morning duties were concluded. On our way home after leaving Mordred with Sir Cei and Lady Nerys, Arthur and I had reached another important decision.

‘Lucile,’ I smiled, rising and embracing her. ‘And Percy,’ I grinned as he too entered and shut the door tightly behind him. They were both already aware of the need for secrecy.

                ‘Nimue my dear,’ Lucile began. ‘How are you faring?’ there was deep concern in her tone, she knew how hard I was taking my separation from my son.

                I shrugged, ‘as well as I can be, but that is what I wish to speak to the pair of you about.’

                Percy raised an eyebrow. ‘Please sit,’ I insisted, ‘Arthur and I have a very large favour to ask of you…’

                                                                             ******

That night my sister and I brought together our few belongings and the following morning set off with the King and Nimue to the house of Sir Cei, a day’s ride away. Nimue had bestowed a great honour upon us, or at least for anybody else it would have been a great honour. Lucile was glowing with pride at the job we had been intrusted with but for me it simply acted as a reminder that Nimue was hidden from sight and yet had still been with Arthur. We were to be nursemaid and steward to Sir Cei’s household, an elevation indeed. In truth we had been chosen purely due to our knowledge of Nimue’s true personage and thus we, unlike others, were fully in the know of the parentage and importance of Sir Cei’s new ward.

                I did not begrudge her decision and I did feel pleased that she trusted me with such a task, especially after it had been I who had stabbed her. It was Arthur’s role in it all that vexed me, the king had a pretty and faithful wife and now a son by the most intelligent, goodly, and self-sacrificing woman I had ever know – a woman I had been in love with since I had first understood the notion. He had a kingdom, riches and the love and loyalty of two wonderful ladies, one who gave it in complete ignorance of the other and Nimue who was forced to live in the knowledge that she shared her husband. The situation angered me so greatly but the moment I had first seen the precious child that was Prince Mordred I had instantly resolved that I would bare towards him no anger. For firstly, who can hate an innocent child, but also that it took only one look to know that he would be his mother’s son. In that way I could almost forget that he was Arthurs child and I knew that if I could block this thought for the majority of the time I would work very well in Sir Cei’s household and would greatly enjoy watching the young boy grow – almost as if he were my own…