🌹Chapter 22🌹

A/N:

Whoa... two chapters in 5 hours.

I mean, did you really expect me to leave y'all hanging for over a week??? I might be a little cruel, but I'm not evil. 

TW: I don't really know how to describe it... like, mentions of putting down others, acceptance of deprecating statements, what could probably be called a panic attack (multiple times), crying... OH, there's also a very, very, very infinitesimal mention of attempted suicide). 

Enjoy!!

|Previous chapter:

"No... come... back..." I whispered, my voice hoarse from my screams.

The last thing I saw before everything went black was Roman looking back at me one last time from where he stood at the end of the hall.|

Virgil POV:

"-gil... Virgil... VIRGIL!!!"

I was jolted awake as someone shouted my name and shook my shoulder.

Sitting up, I gasped for breath, tears streaming down my face. I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to forget the pain that had carried over from the dream.

A dream... it was just a dream... none of it was real... they don't hate me...

I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I said rather harshly. I scrambled away from the person, turning so I was facing them.

Roman sat in front of me, eyes wide with concern and his hand held to his chest as if touching me had burned him.

Seeing him in front of me reminded me of the dream, and my torso started to burn as I remembered how Roman had just stood there while I was in pain and calling out to him.

I started sobbing as the dream replayed in my mind. The names, the pain, everyone leaving... all of it flooded me, causing me to collapse onto my side, clutching a pillow to my stomach.

I felt the bed shift as Roman moved to sit behind me. He gently placed a hand on my back and rubbed circled to try to calm me down.

At first, it did comfort me a little bit, but then the dream came crashing back down onto me, blurring the lines of reality. All logic had left, and it no longer seemed like a dream. To my mind, it was real and had actually happened.

"Just leave me alone," I said timidly, scooting away from him. "You're just here 'cause you feel bad for me."

I heard Roman gasp behind me.

"Why do you think that?" he asked, scooting closer and placing his hand on my back again.

"BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS TO PEOPLE LIKE ME," I shouted, sitting up to face him.

We sat there in silence, looking at each other. My chest was heaving as I tried to catch my breath. Roman's mouth hung open, and he looked like I had just called Disney stupid.

"Look," I said, looking down at my lap. I fidgeted with the corner of a blanket next to my leg. "I get that I'm weak. You said so yourself. And I'm not as smart as Logan, which Patton made clear. And Deceit's been lying about being my best friend for the past twenty years. And Thomas-"

"Virgil," Roman interrupted. "What are you talking about? When did any of that happen?"

"J-just now," I stuttered, fresh tears rolling down my cheeks. "We were a-all in the li-living ro-room, a-and Dec-Deceit said that he-he lied about b-being my b-best fr-friend. A-and then P-Patton told me th-that I wa-wasn't as smart as L-Logan, and Logan s-said that it was tr-true. Th-then you called me we-weak for cr-crying. A-and Thomas..."