Chapter 3

I made a deal with my mum that if I stay off of school for the rest of the week I have to go in every single day for the rest of the year. I'm not sure why I agreed to that but I did. I watched as Hayes walked out of his door and walk down the road. The day actually went pretty fast, probably because I didn't do much except for sit on my laptop and write another word document about my life. I do this every time something bad had happened etc and I'd been doing it since I was eleven. I had over one hundred.

It was around half three which is usually fifteen minutes after I usually get home when I had a knock at my door. I answered it to find Hayes. Joy!

"You weren't at school today?"

"No. I'm ill."

"Don't lie to me. I'm not stupid."

"I'm not lying, and even if I was what does it matter to you?"

"I was bored on the bus."

"Yeah like you talk to me anyway."

"I try to!"

"You put your earphones in the whole way."

"I tried to get you to listen but you refused."

"Get away Hayes."

"No. I want to spend some time with you, I want to learn more about you, like what your name is."

"My name's Grace."

"No, you're full name. I want to know your favourite food and your favourite colour. I want to get to know you properly."

I gave in and let Hayes come inside. We sat on the sofa and told each other things about ourselves. I found out his last name was Grier and he used to sit alone on the bus because his best friend died and he refused to let anyone sit in his seat, he didn't even sit in the seat until I came along. It made me feel kind of special, but it also made me think that maybe, maybe Hayes isn't so much like the others as I thought he was. We spent most of the night speaking and laughing until it was nine.

"I've got to go. Are you coming in tomorrow?"

"No, I have the rest of the week off."

"Damn. Not as fun without you!" he said flirtatiously.

"Goodbye Hayes."

"Goodbye Grace."

Out of nowhere he grabbed my face and our lips collided.

We were quiet for a few minutes, Hayes was looking at the ground and rubbing the back of his neck until finally he said bye again and walked away. It sounds weird, but when we kissed, I swear there were fireworks.

It had happened. Oh my god it had happened... I had fallen for Hayes Grier.