XVI.

XVI.
- cherry : lana del rey -
"i fall to pieces when i'm with you"

negan guides me towards the village store with his hand rested on my lower back

we swing through its glass doors. there are ransacked shelves in every direction, tinned food rolled to a halt in groups on the floor.

the first thing everyone did as soon as death and disaster spread, was raid stores. as if stealing pasta in bulk and powdered milk would save them from this hell on earth.

my eyes drift to the checkout.

behind the counter are endless rows of booze somehow protected still by a mesh barrier.

negan begins to bend and sift through items from the floor, canned fruit, packets of biscuits and rice.

"you got any bolt cutters in there?" he nods and rummages for a second before producing a pair from his bag.

i use them to get to the alcohol.

"make some space, we'll take as much as we can." i twist the lid of the first liquor i pull out. putting the warm glass to my mouth and taking deep gulps from the whisky bottle. jack daniels. my father's choice.

it runs hot down my throat and leaves it stinging. i laugh as i place bottles of gin and rum and vodka into my rucksack.

i spot a set of keys strewn on the floor, and a small cupboard door with a lock.

after trying all of them, i find one that fits the lock. the door slides back to reveal a selection of cigarettes and tobacco. i grab a few packets and stash them away for negan before hopping down from the counter.

i look around and can't see him.

"negan?" i call out, slowly peering my head down each short aisle to spot him.

i reach the last one and turn the corner to walk down. negan steps out from behind a wrecked display.

god it shocks me.

i jump backwards and slip on a spill, falling to the floor.

"woah!" he shouts, reaching out to break my fall, but ultimately failing.

he begins to laugh. that deep husky laugh that persuades me to join in.

"you did that on purpose!" i accuse him between pouty laughs.

"you can blame me all you want doll." he smiles. "let me."

he reaches out a hand, i take it and pull it down with all of my strength. his body collapses and drops on top of mine.

"fuck-" i splutter as his weight knocks the wind out of me. his chest is connected to mine for a split second.

he lifts it and pushes up from the ground to tower above me. his eyes catch the sun streaming in through the shop windows. they light up.