XIX.

XIX.
- the right way around : daughter -

i play with the dark cotton bed sheets as i lie in his bed

i play with the dark cotton bed sheets as i lie in his bed. staring at the ceiling. waiting for him to appear next to me.

i can hear him fucking about in the corner of the room. i can't think of a single word to say to him. but here i am. in his bed.

i thought my first night in here would be exciting. it was something i'd looked forward to. sleeping in his bed, with him, for the first time.

feeling him lie on the mattress next to me, i turn onto my side. i won't look him in the eyes.

"billie?" he turns to lie beside me. "you feelin' okay?"

i ignore him.

"you blacked out earlier. too much excitement i think." he chuckles to himself.

i don't know what he finds so funny.

after a minute, he flips the switch above the headboard and the lights go out.

"goodnight billie."

i stop myself from turning to him, crawling into his chest and forgiving him.

instead i ask, blunt and quietly, "what have you done with rick?"

he sighs before he answers, "he's in the basement, we have cells in there."

"okay." i answer.

heat radiates from his body. i edge further and further away from him. until i am cold. and he is no longer touching me.