VIII

Halloween night brought us a clear, star filled sky and gnawing winds.

My mood had skyrocketed, to say the least, since I had dropped out of school. It had only been a little over a week, yet I felt light as a feather, weightless with nothing pinning me down. My world was bright with new opportunities and possibilities. I had finally strayed from my narrow path I'd once been on and found my own. It was the best I'd felt in years.

Job hunting had been my next step. I had applied to a few small shops nearby, but had yet to hear back from any of them. I was in no rush. For now, I was enjoying myself. Staying out all night with Josy and the boys, getting drunk but not too drunk, barely remembering what had happened the next morning. It was out of character for me, completely. I felt I deserved it, though, in a way. Might as well enjoy having no responsibility while I'm young and still can.

Josy and I were currently in my flat, getting ready for the long awaited Halloween gig that Queen was putting on, a record blasting at full volume throughout the place. We had decided to be cats this year- again- partly because we were uncreative and partly because the costume suited us so well. We already had the matching, tight black dresses, fishnets, dramatic cat eyeliner and cat ears, of course. I let my hair loose down my back, and Josy did the same with her red curls.

"Look at us." My best friend gave herself a seductive look in the mirror that hung on my wall. "Why don't we go out like this every night?"

I laughed. The look- minus the cat ears- was a typical one for me, so I hardly looked any different than usual. "Black looks great on you," I hummed, leaning forward to adjust my lipstick.

"Thanks, love."

Slipping on our matching black heels, we headed out into the cold, where our cab was waiting. The ride was short, so we arrived at the bar a few minutes early. The band wasn't playing until nine, and it was around eight thirty when we arrived. There was just enough time to grab drinks and find a spot to sit before the music began.

We found Mary Austin seated alone at the corner of the bar, sipping on a drink, wearing a floral printed dress with her hair in curls around her shoulders. She smiled softly as she saw us approach.

"You two look lovely!" she commented with a sweet expression, as we slid onto stools beside her. "I guess I should've dressed up."

Glancing around at the crowd, I gave her some reassurance. "Looks like we're the only ones who did anyway. Good thing we didn't go crazy this year, huh, J?"

Josy laughed. "Next year!"

"Has Freddie been going on and on about the after party he's throwing?" Mary inquired of us, her eyes going bright as she mentioned his name. "Apparently he's been saving for it for months. Supposed to be huge. He's invited everyone he knows."

A strange expression crossed Josy's face. "He's told me all about it," she piped up. "Been talking about it nonstop."

Mary nodded. "He wants this to be unforgettable." She took a sip of her drink, beaming into the glass.

"How are things with Brian?"

"He's great," she responded, her eyes going astray. "A little bit too great, you know? He's much too nice for me." Mary laughed a bit nervously.

I nodded in understanding.

"You make a great couple," Josy added a little loudly. "You seem right for each other."

Mary flashed a small smile, but it faded quickly. I shot my friend a quick look, communicating with our eyes only, and the unspoken words flowed between us. She was getting unnecessarily defensive, and needed to let up a bit. Even when a girl mentioned Freddie merely once, Josy grew worried. I had to constantly assure her that everything was fine.