XLIII

March 31, 1978

Spring has finally settled around us, and this Friday is one of the better days, the weather on the warmer side and the skies clear of rain, the air warm. I'm stuck inside the shop for the majority of the day, but I can only hope that Audrey and Roger are doing something outside.

As the days before another leg of Queen's world tour grow shorter and shorter, Roger spends as many of his off days with us as he can. He's much busier than in the past, with the first tour date only weeks away. Audrey notices he's preoccupied and isn't spending as much time here, which only worries me more about when he'll be gone for months at a time.

Today, Roger claimed to have a day off, and offered to take Audrey out while I worked. I don't expect them to be home when I get off, but nonetheless his car is there.

He's sprawled out on my sofa, my daughter playing at his feet in a circle of dolls. The tv is playing quietly- a kid's show they're both highly invested in. They don't notice me walk in, and I have to clear my throat before either of them look over.

"Oh, hey," Roger says, shooting me a grin. "How was your day?"

"Good," I tell him, giving Audrey a kiss on the head. "What did you two do?"

His eyes trail back towards the tv. "I brought her to watch us play."

"You dragged her to rehearsal with you?" I ask, my nose wrinkling. "I thought you were off."

Roger scoffs, gesturing at the child at his feet. "Why do you say it like that? She loved it," he says defensively. "Right, love?"

She nods. "I played drums like Daddy."

I almost don't catch that last word, too busy picturing my daughter banging on a drum set. It registers a beat too slow, and my eyes pop, mouth falling open before I snap it shut. Daddy. Did I hear that right?

I look furiously at Roger, who's just as surprised as I am. But it's not horror that paints his face... it's awe. The smile slips off when he meets my gaze, righting himself. "Um. Yeah, she's a natural."

I'm stiff with shock as I move to sit in the armchair, repeating her words over and over in my head. I'm sure my face is a tell all- Roger glances at me and looks away, suppressing another grin. He drowns out the sound of my quiet anger by cranking up the tv, the conversation fizzling out.

The evening drags on terribly slowly, but my daughter's words are still fresh in my mind even as her bedtime rolls around. Roger comes strolling down the hallway after putting a fast asleep Audrey into bed, looking rigid and a little nervous.

"Well, I think I'm gonna head out-"

"No you're not. Sit down."

Reluctantly, he sits at the edge of the sofa, furthest from me as possible.

"What the hell was that?" I demand, trying to keep my voice steady. "I can't believe you would have that conversation with her, without me-"

"Thea, I swear. I never told her anything," he argues, but the smile in his voice is hard to ignore. He's still thrilled, like hardly can contain himself thrilled. "That was the first time I heard it, okay?"

I glare at him in disbelief. "Where would she get an idea like that, then?"

"What do you mean, idea? I'm her dad, in case you forgot."

"Oh, I haven't. But why?"

He shrugs. "I practically live with you lot. I take her to school, I pick her up. I make her dinner sometimes, I play with her. Is it so crazy that maybe she drew conclusions herself?"