[Miraculous Ladybug|Marinette/Ladybug x Reader] Leaving

Written: Wednesday, 7 November 2018

"Y/n, sweetheart! Have you finished packing?" The girl looked up from her phone. "Almost!" she yelled back, sorrow piercing her sing song reply. Stretching, she rose from her place on the window seat, stalking over to the pile of boxes on her floor. She exhaled shakily, placing a photo of her and her classmates into the box gingerly. She was trying not to cry, she didn't want her last day with her friends to be a sad one. A small weight nuzzled her cheek, a comforting presence, also mourning. "Thanks, Cupa" She patted the small kwami, holding her gently in her hands and hugging her close to her chest, hands trembling. Today was her last day and tonight her last night. She wiped a stray tear that had begun making its way down her cheek and sealed the final box. Snatching her satchel from her doorway, she left the room, Cupa tucked safely into her denim jacket.

"Ok class, I have some sad news. Y/n, I'm afraid won't be joining us next week. Or the week after." Ms Bustier spoke solemnly. Most of the students seemed quietly sad, except for Chloe. She stood from her desk, blond ponytail swaying. "Ugh, good riddance! No one wanted her here anyway!" Y/n sunk lower in her seat, closing her eyes against the sudden rush of tears. "Cut it out, Chloe!" A voice rang through the classroom. "A lot of us want her here!" Marinette. Y/n leaned forward, tapping the dark hair girl's shoulder. "It's fine, Mari. Don't worry about it." She huffed out a breath but reluctantly sat down, mumbling profanities aimed at the blond-haired girl across the room.

Y/n felt heat rise to her already red cheeks. Mari was brave, there was no denying it, but why stand up for a lost cause? Sure they were pretty good friends, but she was into Adrien. Y/n, on the other hand, was into her. Y/n figured Mari deserved to know how she felt about her. In the other corner was Ladybug. She reminded Y/n so much of Marinette, they were almost twin in charm. Since neither of the ladies would accept the girls confession, she figured she had nothing to lose.

There wasn't anything exciting that happened for the rest of the day, Y/n had lunch with Mari and the gang, Adrien even tagged along as they enjoyed some goodbye macaroons. Mari was flushed and stuttering the whole time, it hurt Y/n deeply to see how much she cared for the boy, but she endured it because, when she was talking to him normally, she seemed so happy, so at one with him. It pained her to see it but she refused to make Mari unhappy or uncomfortable, that would hurt more. But nonetheless, she'd asked the blue eyed girl to meet her at the park after school. Mari, of course, had agreed, even offered to bring a little picnic for them.

Y/n blushed when Alya confronted her about it, spilling her heart to the trustworthy figure. Alya laughed, not at her, but with her. "You're just as awkward as Marinette!" she'd exclaimed, before disappearing into the crowd.

Before they knew it, school was over. Y/n smiled through the tears as he hugged her favourite teacher, leaving her an apple on her desk. She cried when she said farewell to her friends, tearing flowing from some of their eyes too. Nino had cried the most, placing his signature headphones around her neck. "It's like letting my sister go off to college all over again!" One by one they dispersed, Alya last of all, with a well wish and a good luck. Alya held out her hands, in them were pins, one designed by each of their friends. "To match that one you have pinned onto your bag all the time." she'd pointed out, the last badge, a stripy green and white enamel, she'd have to hand that over at the end of the night. They took one last photo together and, leaving on the promise of a group call as soon as Y/n got to New York, Alya smiled sadly and disappeared once more.

Y/n lingered in the hall for just a moment longer, just long enough to whisper "Goodbye." before turning toward the entrance and jumping down the steps and darting across the road to the park. She'd let Mari wait too long already, what if she'd left? This thought spurred her on faster, sending her hurtling through the park. When she came to a stop at a small, secluded bench, she was desperately trying to pull air into her lungs. "Hey, Y/n. Are you ok?" A voice came from behind her, startling her as the person put their hand on her back. Mari. She stood up to her full height. "I'm fine, Mari. I just thought I'd miss you, so I ran here." Marinette seemed to light up at this. She opened the basket on her arm, pulling out a blanket and draping it across the bench. They both plopped onto the bench, the picnic basket in between. At first, it was just their usual banter but halfway through her third mini quiche, that dreaded thought crossed her mind. Tell her, her mind whispered. She steeled herself, swallowing the bite she had in her mouth. They'd been sitting in comfortable silence for a few minutes now, just enjoying the last dregs of afternoon sun and now, Y/n turned to her companion, letting a shaky breath loose from her chest.

"Listen, Mari. This is gonna sound awkward and I'm sorry but you should know how I feel." Marinette turned to her, curiosity mixed in with concern, a perfect portrait. "I know you're into Adrien, and who can blame you, he's cute, but I figured I should tell you before I leave. I like you, Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I always have." Y/n stood quickly, turning away and sprinting like her life depended on it. Tears were streaming like waterfalls down her flushed skin as she turned into an alleyway, shoving her back against the wall. She was unable to form words, so Cupa transformed her and just as Marinette rounded the corner, she disappeared from sight. Chameleon, as she was called, simply jumped onto the roof, running for the only place she could be ok.

Ducking into the back ally she transformed back, putting Cupa in her jacket with a square of dark chocolate. She stepped into the small coffee shop and instantly warmth soaked into her bones. Carla Rose, the middle aged woman running the place, instantly spotted her come in and enveloped her in a hug, drowning her senses in the smell of the bubble-gum she so often chewed. Upon seeing Y/n's now dried tear tracks and hollow expression, she immediately ushered the girl over to the booth furthest from the door, sitting her down in it before bustling off toward the counter and returning a moment later with some hot chocolate.

The 30-something year old woman sat across from Y/n, concern lacing her features. "What's on your mind, darlin'?" Y/n opened her mouth to tell her what had happened and instantly, a sob ripped loose from her closed up throat. The shop was near along time so Carla switched the signed from "Please, come in!" to "Sorry, we're closed!" and slid in next to the sobbing girl, putting an arm around her as she cried through telling her the story. They sat in the shop till sunset and Y/n had to go. Saying goodbye to Carla was the hardest goodbye of all, she was practically a second mother, with Y/n since she'd been able to walk. Once they were done, Y/n wasn't sure she had any tears left to cry. She stepped outside and Chameleon ran home, reversing her state when she got there. She still had a few hours before patrol, so she flopped onto her mattress and slept.

Two hours later, she woke with a start, fresh tears pouring down her cheeks. She didn't remember the nightmare but it must have shaken her if she was crying yet again. She heaved herself up from the bed, waking the kwami on her chest. She took the chameleon pin from her bag and attached it to her jacket, she was going to need it. Her alarm rang 7pm and she turned it off, turning to look over Paris. "Cupa, stripe up." The tight suit replaced her normal clothes, the pin still tightly secured on the collar. She threw open her window and ducked out, into the cool night.

She spotted the red clad figure perched on the Eiffel Tower, gazing out of the city of lights. Next to her, a black cat, Chat Noir to be exact. She took her place next to Ladybug as she audibly groaned, Chat's laughter mixing in with it. Another unreachable girl, Chat Noir loved Ladybug, she wouldn't take her from him. Her was like her older brother, she couldn't do that to him, but for the sake of her own heart, she had to tell her.

Patrol was long and boring, mostly spent chatting about random stuff. Eventually Ladybug and Chameleon were left alone on the rooftop. Y/n stepped forward, towards the Ladybug hanging her legs over the edge of the Arc De Triumph.

She sat down next to her friend. "Listen, LB. This is gonna sound awkward and I'm sorry but you should know how I feel." Ladybug's interest piqued as she continued. Surely it couldn't be... "I know you're into Adrien, and who can blame you, he's cute, but I figured I should tell you before I leave. I like you, Ladybug. I always have." They both stood up, Chameleon removing the pin from her collar.

"Goodbye, Cupa. I love you." The little striped figure floated up to her master's face. "I love you too. Goodbye Y/n." They shared one final hug before Y/n shut the chameleon miraculous away in its box, handing it to Ladybug. "I'm leaving town tomorrow."

Now it was Ladybug's turn to cry as she threw herself at Y/n, pressing their lips together as she transformed. Y/n opened her eyes and almost cried again. Marinette wiped her eyes. "You didn't give me a chance to tell you earlier." She moved closer. "I love you too." Their lips connected once more, united under the full moon.