[Total Drama Island|Duncan x Reader] Marriage

Written: Sunday, 30th August 2020

My name is Y/n L/n and I've never said a word. I'm not even completely sure my voice works anymore, but that's ok, I've never found anything that couldn't be expressed some other way. I'm not sure why I'm like this, but it tends to upset people, they find me frustrating to deal with, not to mention incredibly rude.

For a long time, I didn't have any friends. I sat alone at lunch, avoiding the bullies by hanging out behind the cafeteria, working on projects, homework other people had assigned me. I often mouthed words I found beautiful, trying to get my mouth to move as elegantly as those who spoke them, usually while listening to music and staring into my bathroom mirror. I was alone, but I wasn't lonely, I liked my space and didn't feel like sharing with anyone else.

Until that one fateful day in early November, when he was forcibly moved into my life.

On that nippy Autumn afternoon, we had a substitute teacher for Maths, one we hadn't had before. Now, I didn't like maths, far from it, but I wasn't completely awful at it. I had my trusty notebook under my arm, preparing for another round of "she doesn't speak" with the older man. I quickly took my seat, beginning to scribble down the notes from the board, barely registering them as my pen flew across the page and I moved onto the homework sheet.

I was only half-listening until he began to shout at the boys chatting at the back of the classroom. He ordered them to move them away from each other, earning annoyed groans from the group as they played scissors, paper, rock to determine who had to move. The teacher, now thoroughly annoyed with them, grabbed two of them by the backs of their shirts, hauling them from their chairs. Please don't sit next to me, please don't sit next to me, please don't-

Low and behold, he dropped the school rebel, Duncan Tarun, in the empty chair next to me. The teacher strode back to the ancient desk at the front of the room, looking pleased with himself. He noticed my lack of speech, then.

Duncan, on the other hand, immediately leant over and said, "Hey, babe." My heart jumped a tiny bit in my chest, and I raised a hand in acknowledgement, turning back to the problems. "You don't speak?" I blinked owlishly, shaking my head slowly. "Are you any good at maths?" A shrug. "Don't suppose you could help me out, doll?"

He dragged his chair closer to my desk and I showed him my notes, slowly taking him through the steps of each question, making sure he could do each step in his own notebook. I had him do the problem on his own and watched his face light up, beginning to understand it. My heart warmed in my chest as I witnessed the subtlest of smiles before his casual smirk returned. "I think I've got it. Thanks, babe." He scooted back to his own table, earning a glare from the teacher.

I chuckled silently, going back to the problems. I was okay for a minute, but then I ran into a set on a topic we'd only done one lesson on. The sub clearly wasn't a qualified maths teacher, so he was out of the question. Cogs whirring in my brain, I had a lightbulb moment, quickly scribbling a message in the corner of my page. Once I was sure it was legible, I tapped quietly on my desk and turned my book to face the punk, who was chewing vigorously on his pencil. Can you help me?

Grinning, he slid back over. "What do ya need, babe?" I took the end of my pencil, circling the group of questions. "Oh, sure thing. Here." Using my technique, he managed to teach me the topic in a fifth of the time it would've taken our teacher. I smiled at him, repeating the problem as he watched, correcting my movements as I went until I could do them on my own.