Joy

She had done it wrong.

It wasn't even enough and she absolutely dreaded having to set his bone again. His scream still echoed inside her mind. She felt his forehead, it was wet but not hot with fever, which she was happy about. Then she backed up a little, careful not to bump into his arm and flashed light over it. It was bleeding again and swollen, but there wasn't any infection she could see nor smell. She had stopped his bleeding before with bandages and good luck, but it was obvious now she would need more then that.

The girl wondered if waking him up would be a good idea before once again setting his bone, but gently shook her head firmly. No, he wouldn't be very happy with her.

She took a shaky breath before gently setting the cell phone beside her and softly grabbing Blain's arm. A strangled whimper left him and both of his grey-blue eyes popped open instantly. She grimaced and pushed on his arm and yanked it up. His scream sent a chill racing up her spine.

Once that was done and Blain had lost consciousness again, she quickly spun around and searched behind her small pile of items she had gathered over four days. Blain's phone buzzed with a low battery warning and she was sure to work faster.

She had found a needle and spool of thread in one of the art classrooms a day earlier and had brought it along with her along with a few other items. She was unsure on what exactly it was she was doing, but the fact that not actually doing anything was worse then doing something wrong, she headed forward anyway. No rescue was on its way. Blain's phone wouldn't magically find a signal and stay on forever. She was Blain's only hope and honestly, she couldn't imagine being alone when nothing was making any sense around her.

She quickly soaked both needle and spool in alcohol and attached both the thread and needle. Then in the weak light coming from Blain's phone, she cleaned off as much blood as she could with alcohol wipes before then beginning to sloppily stitch the tare in his arm right above his elbow. Her fingers were numb and slick with his blood and sweat, but the girl managed and began wrapping his arm up with the bandages. She took a break, wiping sweat from her forehead with the back of a shaking hand and staring at Blain's stark white face. Her lip was bitten as worrying thoughts began to plague her once more.

Taking a breath, she took hold of the thin wood pieces she had also found in the art classroom and began clumsily creating a splint for his arm. After she was finished, she covered him with the blanket and propped his now splintered arm up with the blanket.

Finished, she collapsed onto her behind and scooting away from Blain, her whole body shaking violently. Once again Blain's phone buzzed with warning. Swallowing, she leaned forward, plucking the cell phone up off Blain's blanket and held against her stomach. She would have to find another source of light and quick.

Quietly sighing, she glanced down at herself, flashing the light over her side and pushed back Nurse Gila's jacket and lifted her shirt, checking the bandage wrapped around her stomach. There was no blood seeping through her bandages, so she weakly rose to her feet, finding a flashlight on her mind.

She glanced down at Blain briefly, before quickly starting down the hall, going over a list of things she needed. It was getting colder day by day and she needed a coat for Blain, if not, anything thicker would be nice. He was only wearing his sleeveless shirt and dress pants and blankets were only so helpful. It wasn't as cold in the basement floor of Lester-Miller as a floor up but it was still cold.

She thought about food when her stomach grumbled hungrily. She had only eaten a couple of candy bars and a few bags of chips she had found in lockers, she was starving. She had held off trying to break into the cafeteria after finding that the metal doors leading into the cafeteria's kitchen was locked.