Chapter 1: Marigold

The following is a revised version of the original first chapter of Fairy Tail: Next Generation. The rest of this volume hasn't been fully revised like this chapter, but slowly will be rewritten like this one. I'll work in clumps so story arcs won't be so awkward, but the chapter immediately after this isn't revised yet so if you feel as though the style is inconsistent, that's why. Thank you for understanding and enjoy! 

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

Marigold had been walking for about three hours that morning, she followed the path loosely, but found herself wandering into the open fields surrounding them.

She loved plants, a lot, and flowers most of all. She kept a small photo-lacrima with her and whenever she found a new flower, she would take its photo, then tap the lacrima against the empty page in her journal to imprint it.

And that's what she was doing outside Fitlyn Ports that morning in May. Kneeling down in the high grass of some pasture, the sounds of the ports and sea bellowing just at the edge of sight. However, her sight was surrounded by the presence of a yellow-flowered shrub.

Marigold framed the yellow flowers in the image of the lacrima, quickly tapping on its glass surface. The image froze in place, allowing her to quickly place it against the empty page of the journal. With a flash, the image imprinted onto the page. She pulled the lacrima away, making sure it worked (Marigold had never been too technical a person, so she always got a bit nervous, afraid she'd somehow make the device explode by using it wrong).

Seeing that nothing exploded, she laughed in celebration, sitting down in the grass as she pulled the journal into her lap and a pencil into her hand.

"Cytissus," she said aloud as she scribbled the name beside the photo, "or is it cytisus? I dunno—stupid science names, I'll just write Common Broom or something," having no eraser, she just scribbled out both spellings of cytisus and wrote "Common Broom" beside the flower. "Golden yellow, pea-like blossoms, stiff-stemmed shrub. Twigs can be used as a drug for the heart and respiratory ailments, although the plant itself is poisonous to livestock." She laughed turning her head, "Man, isn't that funny."

She looked around, she was alone, but somehow she was still embarrassed. She peered across the field, watching as a train came into the town consuming the horizon.

The train that he was on.

Fitlyn Ports was a small but busy port at the northern edge of Fiore. Aside from the busy seashore bringing in ships from far off lands, it had an equally busy train station where the Dragneel family was coming.

Natsu was the first to step off the train, which was unusual, he took a breath, stretching his arms out as he smelled the salty air around the town.

"Would you look at that," Lucy came out beside him, watching his arched back, "you lasted eight hours and didn't puke once. Maybe you're finally getting over the motion sickness."

Natsu turned to Lucy, smiled, then made a quick sidestep towards the edge of the platform to vomit.

"Oh good, he's back to normal, I was a little worried for a second," Happy remarked as he glided out of the train and towards Lucy.

"Honestly, you'd think this whole motion sickness thing would go away with age. I mean, I have to shout half the things I say to him just so he'll hear me."

"Yes," Carla's voice echoed from within the train, "and I'm sure that's entirely bad hearing, not Natsu just being a dreadful listener—oh, hold my hand already, child!"

Carla came out with a pout, dragging along her five-year-old son Malcon's hand as she scolded him. "Mother," Malcon made an equally stern expression, "need you be such a tasteless boob—I'm 5 years old—I'm practically an elder! Don't you think it's about time you stop coddling me?" Malcon had the tendency to use this tone whenever arguing with his mother. It was not an accurate representation of his intelligence, however, the use of "tasteless boob" was not far off.