Chapter 19: Dead Man's Hymn

It was especially hot in the guildhall that morning, as it was dead in the middle of summer at the time. She looked down at the now empty plate that was formerly the home of a family of eggs that had served as Marigold's breakfast. Mirajane grasped the plate from behind the counter, giving Marigold a smile as she brought the survivors of Marigold's meal to the trash.

The Miss Fairy Tail competition was mere days away and she was in dire need of the money. This left her with a lingering anxiety that she just couldn't shake. "Hey Mira!" She called out, the white haired woman turning her head swiftly to meet the gaze of the anxious and injured Marigold.

Mirajane spun around, walking over to settle in front of Marigold with the counter between them. She nodded her head and Marigold awkwardly continued her question.

"Um..." She sighed awkwardly. "I'm really poor right now...and all this", her hand waved in front of her bandaged body, "isn't helping."

Mirajane gave a lighthearted laugh. "Yeah, you poor thing have been through plenty, that's for sure."

Marigold nodded quickly. "It's just, I'm going to be in the Miss Fairy Tail...thing...and I was wondering if there was any advice for winning, because I could really use the cash."

"You could always flash them." Mira suggested, her happy expression failing to budge.

Marigold hesitated for a moment, just from shock, then clapped her hands over her chest protectively as she heard the hardy laugh of the guild master at the end of the counter, who had entered the room without her noticing.

"I'm just kidding! Please don't do that, so many lawsuits..." Mirajane snickered, however dipping into a serious tone around the end there. "You see, the competition goes in odd directions at times to keep things interesting. However, it always begins the same. The competitors all begin by presenting themselves and their magic."

"Oh cool!" Marigold leaned in. "So you just prepare something with your magic?"

Mirajane nodded. "I would always use transformation magic. It's a real attention grabber."

"I'm sure it is, I'd really love to see that!" Marigold chuckled, settling her arms on the edge of the counter.

Mirajane smiled sweetly. "Really? I can give you a demonstration." Marigold nodded in response, excited by the offer. A puff of air clouds around Mira's body. However, as the clouds faded Mirajane's body had changed into none other than Liddan's.

Marigold thrust her hands up, shouting "no" repeatedly as she waved her arms around and shut her eyes tightly.

"Like what you see?" Mira said, however with Liddan's voice. She let out a chuckle as she returned to her natural state.

"Nailed it, hon." Marigold heard Laxus say at the end of the counter.

"Thanks babe." Mirajane smirked as she leaned onto the counter and tossed her head to the side.

"Oh come on." Marigold huffed. "That's rude."

Mirajane smiled with a light and friendly laugh. "Don't fret Mari, I'm only teasing." She leaned onto the counter a bit more, pushing closer towards Marigold. "I just think it's really sweet how protective he was of you the other day."

Marigold gives a puzzled expression. "Wait, what do you mean?"

Mirajane was referring to Liddan's actions from the day before, when Layla had first arrived back at Fairy Tail. She was semi-unconscious when the event occurred, but Liddan had gone ahead and sucker punched Layla in the face after she got into her little fight with Marigold.