Chapter 15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

We stopped at the entrance of a commercial art gallery called Art Seen. It was a long car ride for it was so far from the Castellanos property. It took us two hours and Trigger King didn't provide further explanation on why he was taking me there.

The Art Seen is a spectacular place for my soulless life. My family don't believe that art is long and life is short. If Papa knew that I was visiting an art gallery rather than learning shooting, he would go ape shit.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked Trigger as I stayed on my seat. We were in the parking lot of Art Seen and my body was humming in excitement of the artworks that I would see. "I suppose Papa wouldn't like this," I slowly said.

Naghihintay ako na bumalik kami ng mansyon kasi baka naman nasisiraan lang siya para dalhin ako rito. It made me think that I was special. Trigger King wanting to comfort me because I had a panic attack in shooting range.

Or so I thought. He opened his mouth and shattered my little fantasy. "Sweetheart, don't mistake this as something else," he ruthlessly said.

Ito talaga ang pinakaproblema ko sa kanya. Sa bawat pagbuka ng kanyang bibig. Ang mga lumalabas dito ay mga malulupit na salita.

Binuksan ko na ang pintuan ng kotse at naglakad papasok ng Art Seen. Tutal, ay siya naman ang nagpasimula na dalhin ako rito'y siya na dapat ang sumagot sa galit ni Papa. Bahala siya, bakit nga ba nag-aalala pa ako sa walang-pusong lalaking 'yon?!

Visiting Art Seen was like a paradise that wipe every frustration and misery of my life. There were so many things to see as I entered the gallery. The place was filled with art enthusiasts and of course so many paintings, 3D art and illusions too.

Nagpagala-gala ako sa buong art gallery--iba't ibang tao ang aking nakita. Mga babaeng kasama ang kanilang boyfriend na busy sa pagkuha ng kanilang litrato. Meron din namang mga teenager na gusto lang maging artsy sa kanilang murang edad.

Classical music was playing in the background. Art Seen was the very definition of perfection. I'd never been in this kind of place for almost six months, paminsan-minsan ay nagpapasama ako kay Mama na magpunta sa ganitong lugar dahil kapag kasama ko siya'y pumapayag si Papa.

He wouldn't take it against my purpose in our family. Forget about that damn painting. Just serve the family, he said and I thought it was very unfair of him to say it.

Serving the family means following his orders. And forgetting about my passion and dreams. I like everything relating to art because it speaks to my soul, it makes me alive, and peaceful.

One painting caught my eyes and I focused my attention to it. It was a woman boating at sunset. I was shocked for the portrait's serenity was really good, it lifted my sour mood and I didn't notice that I was already smiling widely.

"I guess, you like it," said someone behind me. He was smiling warmly to me and he was wearing a white polo shirt, plaid trousers and brown shoes. Assuming with his appearance and warm smile, he's the boy next door type.

Tumango na langa ko't tipid na ngumiti. Tumayo ang lalaki sa aking gilid. He also smelled good and he was tall and neat.

"You must be very lonely to appreciate this one, it was created as a form of therapy for depression, to release frustration and unhealthy emotions," he said. I was amazed on how he spoke, like a teacher willing and patient to explain things. I listened to the sound of his soft voice as he told me that he was the painter of Sunset Woman, what impressed me more was that he created it for his mom.

"That's very sweet and thoughtful," I commented after his story. He blinked like a shy boy he was. Pinigilan ko naman ang sarili kong bumungisngis sa kanyang reaksyon, kasabay noon ang paghimas niya sa kanyang leeg.