Chapter 46

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

My thoughts fitted to the possibilities of letting him go but I was so stubborn. So when I met Van the next day in the Little Parlor. I was firm with my decision that I wouldn't let Trigger King go.

Why would I? "Angel," he called. My mind jumped around with millions of possibilities with Van, he was willing to make himself better for me and he was willing to admit that he has lapses as a human being too.

In a human sense, I understand if Van didn't want to reveal to other people that he has mental health issue. It was his choice. The stigma of being judge because you have a problem when it comes to your mentality.

Masyado nang okupado ang isip ng mga tao. Akala nila'y ang pagkatao ay nabubuo lang ng katawan at emosyon. Paano naman ang ating isip?

Minsan ay nakakaligtaan natin ito. Magulat ka na lang ay sobrang lungkot mo. You were so drain in this world that you just want to disappear and die in misery and I'm happy that Van choose the higher road.

"I had an appointment this past week. It was doing good," he said. He was smiling as he touched my hand, he squeezed it good and gently.

"Papa must have informed you, huh." Napaupo siya nang maayos at tumingin lang taimtim sa akin at sa bandang huli ay ako pa rin ang una niyang hinayaang magsalita. "He planned that I would stay with you and get married with you, Van."

My shoulders slumped. Sa lahat ng mga salitang narinig nitong mga nakaraang araw ay gusto ko na lang bumigay. Sa kagustuhan nila at nang matapos na rin ang hinanakit ko sa buhay.

I could choose to be careful and forget about Trigger King. Van Antioquia was rare in my world where strongmen rule. Isang lalaking handang bigyan ako nang kinabukasang inaasam ko at kahit pa na may kakulangan ito ay handa itong magbago, saan ka pa, Cherry Ann?

"Yeah," he said and he breathed deeply. "My father met him already and they were planning it." He looked away and he was forlorn too.

Napasimangot ako at nagpasyang tumayo na sa aking kinauupuan. Hindi ko siya dapat sisihin. Si Papa naman ang may kasalanan sa lahat ng 'to.

"Time to be independent, angel." Van said. Hindi niya pinansin ang masamang timpla nang aking mukha habang sinasabi niya iyon at nagpatuloy pa siya. "We can't let them do all the talking about this issue, angel."

I swallowed the lump on my throat painfully because there was no way that Papa would listen to my reason against it. Swerte lang ako nang barilin ko ang sarili ko't hindi ako namatay. The next time that I'll do it, I knew for sure that the consequences would be higher.

Pinigilan kong umiyak sa harapan niya. Papa clearly allowed us to spend more time. "Why did you tell him that we're together?"

"As I saw that man and the way you looked at him. I know right away and I took it as an indication to back off. I thought that staying with him for weeks would give you happiness."

He gripped my hand softly. "Was I wrong? Did he hurt you instead of making you happy?"

I knew deep inside me that he wasn't making me happy anymore. He was making me suffer. What if it was the universe's way of telling me that I should let him go?

"I didn't know anything about what happened to the both of you. Much less the fact why you like him or love him. But I'd hear of his reputation from different women who used to work for him."

"What did you hear?" Nasorpresa siya nang tanungin ko iyon sa kanya. Darating din ang punto na hindi ko na matatakasan ang reputasyon ni Trigger King, na lahat nang naririnig ko tungkol sa kanya na hindi maganda ay makakaapekto pa rin sa aming dalawa.