Loved Ones Part 1

(Annie's POV)

A few days have passed and I haven't talked to Eren at all. I couldn't. I just couldn't. After what I did I could not just come back and talk to him like nothing happened.

I needed time. Time to heal. Time to think. But the longer I wait the harder it gets. I never thought that one day in my life I wouldn't have the courage to look at a guy. I guess Eren really changed me over the years.

My mind was filled with nothing but guilt and remorse. I wanted to release myself from the shackles of sadness and pain and run to the arms of my loved one and stay with him forever, never letting go of him ever again. But my mind feared the possibility of him finding out what I did and abandoning me for someone else.

The feeling of guilt was so great it was gnawing on my insides and my soul. I had to do something otherwise it would become too unbearable to even live.

Suddenly, I received a call from an unknown number. My mind didn't care who it was and just answered the phone directly.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hello is this Ms. Annie Leonhart?" A female voice asked.

"Yes. Who is this?"

"I'm calling you from the Golden Mountain Hospital. I'm afraid it's your mother."

My heart dropped so deep it went through the floor. I nearly dropped my phone. My mind didn't know what to do and all I could ask myself internally was
'Is this a dream?'

Sadly it wasn't. I got all the details from the nurse and tried to find a method of transportation. I ended up calling an Uber. Once it arrived I immediately got inside, only grabbing my phone and charger along with a backpack for some trip essentials as it was going to be a long trip.

The words of the nurse were inside my head, replaying and replaying over and over again. My mom is in a hospital. She has cancer, she's too far gone and worst of all, she never told me.

A few hours later we made it into this so called Golden Mountain Hospital. It was some form of an association founded by a rich someone or other. Never cared for the details. I only cared for the one patient inside of it I was going to visit.

At the reception I asked for my mother's room and they happily told me where to go. It was on the third floor.

I made my way up the stairs, not willing to wait for an elevator as people were coming and going in and out of them at all times inside the highly staffed hospitals filled with doctors and visitors.

By the time I arrived it was already nighttime and so visitors were either leaving or staying next to their respective patients. The hospital itself was huge and had lots of advance medical tech that I believe were the result of being founded by a rich someone or other.

Finally I arrived to the door of my mom's room. I took a second to take a deep breath and think about what I will say. Then I opened the door.

The heart monitor was beeping. It was a sound of relief knowing that my mother was alive and yet I still didn't want to hear it. I approached my mom's bed, only to see her looking at me with the weak smile she could do.

My eyes immediately started to tear up. I tried to hold myself together but it was hard to do so. I was desperately hanging on.

"Annie... how are you, sweetie?" She asked.

"I... I... Why didn't you tell me?" I said, voice cracking and lips shivering.

"I'm sorry. I should have but I didn't want you to worry." She replied.