Attrition

(Annie's POV)

What makes this world so... Beautiful? And yet... Devastating with cruelty?

Do I deserve a felicitous life? A peaceful new beginning?

I cannot answer these questions, and yet I always wonder if death is what will truly bring me peace.

I am hoping that I will find out the answer today.

One of my friends was stabbed. She is in the operating room as we speak. The perpetrator is after me and struck her to send me a message. His name is Adrian. A man who worked alongside my nutcase of a father. He played with my emotions, planned on using me for his evil schemes and now, he wants to face me for one final showdown.

The titan powers, the curse that flows through my veins is his true desire. He wants them for himself and will stop at nothing until he gets his hands on the last vial in my possession. It was given to me by a mysterious man, named Max, and wants me to use it as bait. I can say with confidence that it worked like a charm. 

I arrived at the showdown location, an abandoned port just far enough from my home that no one will be able to bother us as we fight until one of us takes their last breath.  I expect him not to fight fairly and with honor, and I expect him to also bring his team of hooligans to come and fight me as well. There is a high chance that I will not make it out of there in one piece.

But I am aware of all of that, and I seek to end this regardless of the outcome. If I were to die, then so be it. It would be the price to pay for my past mistakes.

I entered the port, expecting them to have arrived way earlier than I did. I walked around for a short while, examining the area and trying to get a sense of it and where the lunatics can be hiding by any chance. I looked at a derelict cargo ship that was in front of me and to no one's surprise, there was Adrian. I could clearly Identify him from the way he was walking in circles. The way he took his steps and moved around back and forth, and judging by his height, I was easily able to Identify him. 

But before I can make my way towards the ship, I started to hear the sound of footsteps running towards me from behind. The sound got louder and louder until I turned around and spotted a figure jumping towards me. My self-defense instincts kicked in and I leaped out of the way of a familiar pair of claws. 

The girl that was the first that Adrian sent to hunt me down got back on her feet after a failed attempt at slicing my head off. She stared at me with a smirk that shows her to be impressed. 

"So... You want to finish this, huh?" She asked.

"Natalia, right? Yes. It's enough. You people nearly killed my friend!" I barked.

"And it's your turn!" She said before leaping towards me and trying to slash again, only for me to block her attack by a crystallized left arm. I followed that with an uppercut using my other arm. I crystallized my entire limbs and got ready to kick some ass. 

I charged at her, trying to punch her in the face, but to my surprise, she got on her feet and backflipped away from the punch and tried to hit me with a backflip kick. I placed my arms in front of my face, protecting it from getting smacked. Then I tried to punch again, hitting her on the right side of her face. She followed her attack by scratching my face, nearly clawing my eye out. I then punched her in the chest and then used my elbow to strike her in the back, making her fall on the ground. 

I followed my attack with a stomp, but she was quick to roll away and then tried to leap at me, which ended up succeeding. She tried to pummel me with her fists, but my quick reaction time made it easy for me to dodge some of her attacks. But once punch managed to hit me, which made me furious. I kicked her off me and then jumped back to my feet.