Chapter 30

"Thank you, Aneira." Ubbe smiled as I helped him to his room. I smiled back and nodded before leaving him be. Hvitserk caught my attention as I walked away and a wide smile suddenly spread across my face. I couldn't help it. Hvitserk's happiness was infectious and everytime I saw him I'd light up.
I skipped over to him and he smiled back, "You seem happy."
"I suppose so." I grinned.
"You suppose?" He chuckled back.
"Things could be better." I smirked, leaning a little closer to my friend.
"Really? How so?" He questioned, amused by my actions.
"I'm not sure, perhaps you could help with that." A playful smile graced my lips.
"I'd be happy to help you, And it's." Hvitserk smiled, the gap between us now barely existent.
"Great! You can go hear Ivar's plan tonight and tell me later so I don't have to go. Sounds good to me." I jumped up, a cheerful smile upon my face.
Hvitserk groaned before looking at me with a frown. I grinned down at where he sat as his hand held mine, not allowing me to leave. Hvitserk just pouted, no sign of a grin on his face but his playful demeanor was still alive and well.
I leaned down to his ear, a smirk pulling up the corners of my lips as I whispered, "And maybe when you get back we can finish where we left off." His face perked up at my words and I smiled, beginning to walk away. Before I'd completely left his line of sight, I turned to give him a small wink before disappearing around a corner.

It didn't take long for Hvitserk to return. He found my walking past an old cottage and pushed me inside, closing the door. Instantly, our lips connected. He pushed me up against the cold wooden wall as I bit down on his lower lip, earning a smirk. Our lips moved apart as Hvitserk began kissing down my neck, small sighs of contentment escaping my lips. I arched my back, grabbing hold of his shirt as he proceeded.
"I've missed this." I whispered.
Hvitserk smiled up at me, "Me too."

For a good few hours, the tiny cottage was filled with moans and gasps. Noises could be hear from across York as neither of us bothered to conceal anything. We lay there, upon the bed. My head rested on his bare chest. Sweat dripped from my arms as I let in breaths of air.
"Do you think Ubbe plans to leave?" I asked, my head tilting up to look at Hvitserk. He chuckled at my sudden curiosity.
"I know he does. He plans for both of us to leave." Hvitserk retorted.
"And will you?" I asked, my fingers gently tracing along his chest.
"I don't know. " he answered. Hvitserk looked genuinely troubled by the question. It was a look that was rare upon him. I gave him a small smile before placing a kiss upon his lips.

"I forgot to tell you, Ivar wishes to speak with you in person." Hvitserk said.
I looked at him mildly confused before reaching for my clothes to pull them on.
"What for?" I asked. Hvitserk merely shrugged as he watched me redress. Once I was fully clothed, I pulled him into a short kiss before leaving.

I walked through the streets of York, sending greetings to other soldiers. I finally made my way inside the old church, a blissful smile across my face as I happily skipped in. Ivar turned his attention to me, narrowing his eyes at my cheerful demeanor.

"You wanted to see me?" I smiled, taking a seat beside him. He furrowed his brows at my attitude.

"Where have you been all day?" He stared at me suspiciously.

"Ivar, dear, I know it's hard for you to understand but not everyone is plotting against you." I replied with a hint of sarcasm.

He glared at me, entirely unamused, "That didn't answer my question. I told Hvitserk to come back with you."

I almost made a joke but refrained, knowing that Ivar would lose it if he knew why I was so late and what Hvitserk and I had been doing. I merely smiled. "I apologize for being late. What do you need?"

"You weren't here today." He stated plainly.

"I had other matters to attend to." I answered honestly.

"Aneira, I know that my brother's plan to return to Kattegat. I know that you're considering going with them despite the fact that you'd rather continue the fight." Ivar explained. The next words that left his lips were totally unexpected. Since Sigurd had died, Ivar had not shown any chances of redemption toward me. I could no longer see the boy who was only angry at the world because he wanted to be a part of it but was cast aside. All I could see was spite. But now, he revealed a side of himself that I had not seen in a long time. "And I understand why you want to leave... But I don't want you to go."

I looked at him, confusion spreading across my face, "what?"

"I-I don't want you to go." He begrudgingly repeated. His voice now went quiet, "I can't do this without you." I looked at him in disbelief, my eyes darting around his face for any sign of that devilish grin that he'd wear in times of mockery. I realised he wasn't joking. I didn't know how to react. Ivar placed his hand on mine before speaking again, "please think about it."

Before I could speak again, a sharp pain shot through my belly. I grabbed hold of my stomach as the pain only increased.

"Aneira?" Ivar asked concerned.

I fell off my chair to the ground, writhing in agony. I noticed the blood on the chair where I'd been sitting and my heart pounded in my chest with fear.
I are got down from his chair, pulling me into his arms as he called for someone to help. I let out a scream as the pains worsened and Ivar did his best to comfort me. Tears now streamed from my crystal blue eyes until suddenly everything had faded.

The world went from a blur to blackness in an instant. My eyes closed. The last thing I felt was that sharp unending pain coming from where my child was supposed to be.