Chapter Sixteen

Little Lady

Chapter Sixteen

His eyes were like chocolate as they melted into the letter, each word drowning his mind. Evelyn watched as his eyes hardened like ice as he finished reading the last word. She couldn’t even speak, she just froze her mouth open a bit and her eyes popping out of her face; she was frozen. She didn’t know why but she was.

And then finally his words were like rocks shattering the silence like a window. “Who sent these?”

She shook her head fighting the flinch that wanted to tremble through her body. His words echoed through the house. “I-I  don’t know.”

She could feel her tough girl persona slipping through her hands like water, sliding from her fingers and onto the floor. Here she was stuttering like some idiot as a stupid boy yelled at her for answers. “Evelyn,” He demanded her attention though his words were quieter. “How long have you been getting these letters?”

She spoke clearer now. “I don’t know, maybe a week or two ago.”

His eyes brightened with curiosity. “Where are they?”

“I burnt it, it was only one letter.”

She unlike him wasn’t hunting the anonymous bitch behind the letters but avoiding them. She could ignore the aching curiosity in her stomach, but she couldn’t handle being held captive again, or dying. If she had followed her mind she would have jumped damn countries but something in her gut told her it wasn’t time to leave yet.

“Grab your coat you’re coming with me.”

Her heart stopped. “What do you mean?”

“The person who’s sending these can’t be too far and if it isn’t someone I know it has to be someone you know so let’s go.” He explained heading for the door.

She shook her head. “I can’t.”