Chapter 19

The entire walk back from the store Pierce planned what she would say to Grey, but when they made it to the motel the woman who had helped Arthur cheat during their game of poker was sitting in the lobby with Grey and Knox. She had changed out of her black cocktail dress and into grey, knee-length skirt with a matching overcoat.

"Take everything upstairs," Pierce ordered Madigan and Elliot, and they hurried off carrying grocery bags.

Pierce sat down beside Grey and turned her attention to the woman. "What did I miss?" she asked.

The woman had a tight-lipped smile plastered across her face. "I just arrived," she said. "My name is Sasha."

"Well, Sasha, I'm surprised to see you here," Pierce said. "Shouldn't you be helping your boss cheat?"

"Helping him cheat?" Grey glanced sideways at Pierce.

"She could see my cards," Pierce explained. "When I had the winning hand she would cross her arms. When Arthur did she would uncross her arms. I'm still not sure how she knew what Arthur's hand was, though."

Sasha didn't acknowledge Pierce's words. "Arthur will have a boat ready for you tomorrow," she said, handing an envelope to Grey. "Here's the time and address. Don't be late."

"Will Arthur be captaining the boat?" Pierce questioned.

"Yes," Sasha answered, dusting off her skirt and standing. "He normally has someone else do it, but he's taken a special interest in you." Smirking at Pierce, Sasha turned, heels clicking against the lobby's wood floors.

The next day the hybrids drove to the address Sasha had given them. It was a private harbor with several boats of varying sizes. Arthur stood next to one of the larger ones, and waved when he saw them. "You lucked out!" He flashed his pearly teeth at them. "Some folks are forced to wait a few days for storms to pass, but the skies are clear from here to Cancun, where I'll be dropping you off."

Pierce was surprised by how at ease he seemed after what had happened with Knox. "Are there any more passengers you will be taking?" she asked.

"Nope, just your four friends," Arthur said, smile growing even wider.

Pierce turned to Grey. "Can I talk to you for a second?" she asked. He nodded, and they walked together to a pebbly bank that edged the water.

"What is it?" he asked once they were out of earshot.

"This is hard for me, even though I'm going to be flying after you," Pierce said. "I don't like the thought of leaving everyone."

"It's okay," Grey said gently. "I'll protect them."

"I know," Pierce whispered. She wanted to say more—something about what he had said the previous night—but couldn't find the words.

"Hey!" Knox yelled at them. "Hurry up! We haven't got all day!"

"Just a second!" Grey called back. Then he returned his attention to Pierce. "Be careful," he said. "If you get too tired land on the boat after dark."

"I will," Pierce promised, and together they walked back to Arthur and the other hybrids.

"Right this way," the old man gestured for them to follow.

Pierce decided to accompany the other hybrids until it was time for them to set sail, and trailed after them to the boat. Arthur boarded first, then helped the others aboard. When he offered Knox a hand, the tall hybrid shook his head and stepped past him onto the boat.