Chapter 5

The next morning after a quick breakfast and change of clothes, Jake and I were double checking our knowledge of the most important Na'vi of the village before we linked. Grace was showing Jake the pictures she had of them. "Mo'at. Dragon Lady." Jake said.

"Mother of Neytiri. Spiritual leader." I added.

"Eytucan."

"Eytukan." Grace and I both corrected him.

"He's the clan leader, but she's the spiritual leader."

"T'su'tey."

"Tsu'tey. Two syllables, not three."

"He'll be the next clan leader."

"Neytiri." Jake breathed, showing off his obvious crush.

"She'll be the next Tsahik." Grace informed us.

"That means they'll become a mated pair." I commented, reminding Jake that his teacher was off limits.

"So who's this Eywa?" Jake questioned Grace.

"Who's Eywa? Only their deity. Their goddess, made up of all living things. Everything they know. You'd know this if you had any training whatsoever." Norm snarked.

"Who's got a date with the chief's daughter?" Jake bragged.

"Alright, whip 'em out and measure so we can get on with our day. I'll even teach you how to measure girth so there aren't any more arguments." I snapped.

"Knock it off. It's like kindergarten around here." Grace muttered. "Neytiri was my best student, she and her sister, Sylwanin. Just amazing girls." I missed what Jake said but I did hear Grace say she was dead. "Let's go. Village life starts early. And don't do anything unusually stupid." Grace commented, pushing the topic away. I waited for her to get Jake settled before she came over to me and helped set me up for the day.

When I 'woke up' in my Avatar, I found Tsu'tey standing above me on the branch, staring down at me impatiently. "Don't have an aneurism, I'm awake. What are we staring with, today?" I spoke breaking whatever reverie he was stuck in. I rushed after him when he walked away without saying anything. 'Jeez. It's not like I insulted him or anything.' I caught up with him near the ground entrance of Hometree. Jake and Neytiri were already out there with this world's version of a horse. I followed after him as he chose a particular animal and brought it out to a wide, clear area. "So what are we doing?" I asked again.

"You will learn to ride."

"Sweet. Been a long time since I rode bareback." I heard Jake choke up from where he was to my left. "Jake, get your head out of the gutter! Focus on riding!" Once Tsu'tey got the animal settled, I threw my leg up and pulled myself into position. While Jake's horse freaked out when he connected their queues, when I connected mine to my direhorse, I prepared myself and did it calmly.

"This is tsaheylu, the bond you make. Match yourself to him, and when you do, tell him to move. Do not do so until you match his breath. You must be one before you attempt it, or you will fall and break the bond." Tsu'tey instructed. I did as I was told, focusing on the horse and matching my breath to his. Once I was matched with him, I began to focus on where I wanted him to take me. I ended up right beside Jake as he fell from his horse.

"You have to be more specific, and focus, Jake. Think of it like you would think of driving. It's not as hard as you're making it." I commented, turning my direhorse back to Tsu'tey.

"It is at least better than him. Again. We will do this until you can do it perfectly." Tsu'tey begrudgingly praised me. I smirked at him and urged my horse to circle around him before galloping off towards Neytiri.

"Sorry he's so slow to learn, Neytiri. He'll get a handle on it eventually." I tried to comfort her. I turned my head to the side when Tsu'tey and a few other hunters rode up on their own direhorses, after Jake had fallen in the mud again.

"You should go away." Tsu'tey spoke to Jake for the first time.

"No, you'd miss me," Jake teased him, "I knew you could speak English." 'Really, Jake? That's what you're gonna focus on?' Tsu'tey laughed at him before addressing Neytiri.

"This alien will learn nothing... a rock sees more... look at him."

"And what, pray tell, am I to do while you're off hunting? Are you going to dump me on Neytiri when she has to deal with Jake as well?" I brought up, giving him a glare.

"She does not need to focus on you. Continue to ride until you can do it perfectly." I scoffed and urged my direhorse to cant off, ignoring whatever Neytiri said to him.