•Four•

Richie had disappeared again. Eddie was worried even more, he'd just talked to him yesterday, they went to the ice cream shop with the losers, and today, Richie wasn't in school. When Eddie had gotten home, he tried calling his best friend, but he hadn't picked up.

So, Eddie did what he had to, went over to Richie's house and knocked on his door. Eddie knocked many times and left Richie messages telling him he was at his door. Finally, after the fifth knock, Richie was at the door, which he had opened half way.

Richie's eye, the same eye that was bruised last time, was now bruised again.

When Richie saw Eddie he looked away and focused his gaze onto his feet.

"Richie...we need to talk."

Richie bit his lip. "Now isn't the best time Eds."

"Please. I'm worried." Eddie frowned.

"Fine.." Richie looked back and then quickly came outside, closing the door behind him.

Eddie noticed that Richie's face was tear stained.

"What's going on?" Eddie asked.

Richie started walking, Eddie followed.

"Skat-"

"And don't tell me it was a skating accident." Eddie said, cutting Richie off.

Richie bit his lip again and hesitated.

"Is someone hurting you Rich..?" Eddie asked.

Richie was quiet for a moment before nodding his head.

"Who? I'll beat their ass!" Eddie exclaimed, anger in his voice.

Richie shook his head. "If I tell you what's going on, you can't tell the others, or anyone else. Please, I'm trusting you Eds.." Richie's eyes glistened with tears.

Eddie frowned. "I won't..."

"Eddie...it's my dad..." Richie's voice was small.

Eddie looked confused for a second before realizing what Richie was talking about.

"Oh my god! Is he..is he hurting you?" Eddie asked. Richie nodded slowly, a tear slipped from his eye.

"Oh shit. I'm so sorry...can't you tell your mom? Or the cops?"

Richie shook his head. "And you better not tell anyone either."

They stood on the sidewalk in silence for a while, until Eddie hugged Richie. Richie was taken aback, but he hugged Eddie back.

When they pulled apart, Eddie's cheeks were flushed, he hadn't ever been that close to Richie before.

"I'm sorry." Eddie said again.

Richie shrugged. "It's not like it's your fault."

Eddie had noticed that Richie hadn't been wearing his glasses for a while.

"Hey...where are your glasses?" Eddie asked.

"Oh...they kinda uh broke." Richie responded.

"Oh."

They stood like that in silence for a few moments.

"I should go inside..." Richie started walking away.

"Bye...I'll call you. Answer this time, okay?"

"Okay..." Richie responded, walking inside.

Eddie walked back home, still cherishing the memory of Richie and him hugging. Little did he know, there were more hugs to come....

• • •

Richie Toizer lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling, he thought of earlier. He couldn't believe he told Eddie about his Dad.

Richie's fear of Eddie seeing him differently caught up to him, and it was pinching his heart. He'd want his and Eddie's friendship to be the same, goofy. And maybe, one day, it could be more than a friendship.

The boy thought of Eddie often. He thought of his brown eyes and small freckles that dotted his nose, he thought of his laugh and how his smile could light up his day in a second. He just thought of his best friend a lot.

It was the one secret he never told Eddie.

Some days, Richie Tozier would wonder if Eddie had the same feelings as he did for him. He wanted to be with Eddie, but there were too many complications to that.

As Richie thought of his best friend, his mind wondered to his cruel father and if he'd ever escape him.

Richie shuddered at the thought of being stuck with his father forever.

He closed his eyes and fell into the world of dreams, leaving reality behind for now.

• • •

Richie winced as Eddie ran a thumb over the big cut on his cheek.

"Sorry..." Eddie mumbled, he started cleaning the blood off, then he put a bandage over it. Eddie had at least wanted to treat Richie's bruises, he couldn't stand meeting his best friend and seeing a new scar or bruise on his face every time.

"I worry about you.." Eddie said, putting the first aid kit away.

"Do you, really?"

"Yes, I worry a lot."

"Don't worry about me Eds, I'll be fine." Richie faked a smile.

"I wish that were true." Eddie frowned. Richie bit his lip and stood up.

"It will be someday." Richie responded.

"When?"

"When I get out of this town." Richie said, with a distant look in his eyes.

"Can I come with you?" Eddie asked. Richie smiled and they both sat down.

"Yeah, I would never leave you behind." Richie responded, and he meant it.

Together, they sat in Eddie's room, telling each other their dreams and planning out their escape for someday. Little did they know that only one of them would be making it out of that town alive...
• • •
End Of Chapter Four

(Sorry for the short chapter!)