Chapter 33

"Come here pretty girl." Josh purred after me, falling against the wall in the hallway.

His drunken state slowed him down some. But it wasn't enough. He was far from harmless. If anything, drinking made him more violent. The small amount of self-control that he had while sober was completely abolished now.

I tried to force myself to run. My legs and feet moved accordingly, but I couldn't create any more space between Josh and me, no matter how quickly I moved. I was running, but the world was keeping me suspended in the same spot as he drew nearer. I could only watch as his face twisted into a deranged smile while he gradually closed the distance between us. The blue in his eyes was glittering with a repulsive appearance of vile humor. This was all a game to him.

My attention was dragged down to the wet torso of his shirt. But the expensive shirt was not as it should've been. The once white fabric was now stained red and clinging to his chest, the blood still wet.

"J-Josh." I whimpered.

"Yes, baby girl, say my name." he growled back, grinning madly at me.

"Whose blood is that?" I whispered, my voice breaking with fear.

Josh paused, stopping his pursuit of me briefly. I tried to sprint while he was distracted and though my body obeyed the world around me didn't. But I could not distract him for long and his eyes snapped back up to my face all too soon.

"You want to know whose blood this is?" he asked, almost seeming surprised.

"Yes." I breathed back, "I want to know who you killed." But I wasn't sure I could handle the truth.

The wild glint in his eyes was back and his smile grew broader at my demands, like I had played into his game perfectly.

"It's yours, pet." He hissed out.

I automatically looked down at myself at his words. I was wearing the band tee shirt I had found for Alistair at the thrift store, which surprised me. There was a whole in the clothing right in the center of my chest. And, as I stared at it in horror, blood began to spill out, soaking the image on it.

I snapped awake from the awful nightmare. My heart was thundering away in my chest and I felt like I had to vomit, but I took slow, even breaths to calm myself down. I kept reminding myself that I was safe. I was in another continent with a different last name and a new identity. I had a team of people back in Canada covering up my tracks as best they could. Finding me was not impossible but it certainly was going to be quite the challenge.

In addition to this the nightmare had clearly not been a recollection of events that I had been trying to repress. This was a wild and unrealistic dream that had touches of the truth in it. That made it a little easier to handle. Still, there was no use trying to go back to sleep.

I used the sunlight streaming through the window as my guide when I fumbled out of my bed and into clothing. I know that I looked ridiculous in my thick sweater and thermal leggings, but it had snowed heavily for two days, so heavily that we hadn't been able to leave the house. But now that it had eased up Alistair was adamant that we were going to the castle I had chosen a couple days ago. I knew that he would want to leave right away, but I decided that it was time to tell him about one of my most repressed secrets.

My ex-fiancé was a murderer.

The twisted nightmare had reminded me of a hundred things that I would've preferred to forget, things that I was beginning to forget. I was going to marry a man who had killed someone because I had been a coward.