25 years

The next day the police searched the lake they did find the car and sad to say Debbie's lifeless body trapped in the car. The police searched the area for evidence before they retrieved the car from the lake and then Debbie's body was sent to the local MEs office where they found out that Debbie was in fact alive when the car enter the water and she drowned to death in the car. The police got the car checked over and it was there that they noticed the buttons were missing so no wonder Debbie had no chance of escaping she was trapped. The police now had evidence slowly building up against Barbara and Carol Denning who were now in police custody and awaiting trial.
Alice and Ron Denning were sure that it was all Carols doing and that Barb was just protecting her sister and so they got her the best lawyers available Where's Carol had to reply on the free court appointed lawyer to defend her.

The trial
The day of the trial came faster than expected for Carol took a deep breath before she stepped into the court with her lawyer at side along with Barb who had the best lawyers money could buy. The judge came into the room and everyone stood up and then sat down seconds later.

Alice glanced over at Carol who was staring straight ahead then back at the judge.

"Today's case the New York state verses Miss Carol Denning and Barbara Denning over the murder of 9 year old Debra Denning" the judge read out to the court.

"That is correct your honour" both layers said approaching the bench.

Through the whole case, Barb gave her version of events and then Debbies/ the states attorney spoke up on her behalf and of the state.

"Your honour my client has a told her version of events" Carols  lawyer, said.

"Your honour if I may?" Barbs lawyer spoke up

"Yes Mr Fleming?"

"My client who I shall call Miss C Denning due to both defendants are siblings with the same surname. Anyway my client has said on numerous occasions that Debra Denning got into the car herself ," Todd said glancing at the district attorney who shook his head at Todd.

" If you are 9 years old why would you run into a car for no reason? Why would that need to happen Mr Fleming?" the state attorney asked.

"Well your honour there has been many times where Debra went into the drivers side of the car whilst her father Mr Ronald Denning would clean the car and Debbie would always go into the drivers side so clearly was keen on wanting to drive the car" Barbs lawyer said.

" Miss C Denning do you have anything to say about that statement?" The judge asked.

Carol slowly stood up on shaky legs "Your honour My sister and I have witness this on many occasions and that Debbie took her opportunity to finally try to drive when no one was looking"

After several words passed backwards and forwards through the court, the judge spoke up "alright there will be a twenty minute recess while I go over everything and make my decision"

Alice went outside needing air she walked over to a quite bit near a garden bench and sat down unable to stop the tears so she just let them come out. Alice sat for a good ten minutes sobbing her heart out over this whole situation, taking a deep breath she wiped away the tears and made her way to the ladies bathroom, where she wiped away the tears and then replied her makeup. Once she looked half-decent, she started for the room where her fate would be decided but

The judge was silent for a moment, which was making Carol and Barbs heart race, and then the judge spoke

"The jury have come back with their verdict" the judge said
" We the jury find the defend Miss Carol Denning guilty and Miss Barbara Denning we find guilty" the 12th juror said holding the note.
" Miss Carol Denning you are sentenced for 25 years of imprisonment with the possibility of parole and Miss Barbara Denning you are also sentenced for 25 years with the possibility of parole" the judge slammed down the hammer

Alice Denning cried out while The District attorney looked please, Alice got up and as fast as she could left the court house not wanting to be anywhere near it tears streaming from her face as soon as she was outside she collapsed to her knees and burred her face in her hands sobbing so hard it hurt

Ron followed Alice making sure she was alright but the sight he saw broke his heart he had never seen her so broken he stopped watching he for a moment before slowly making his way over to her "Alice my love are you alright?" he asked in a soft voice

She stopped crying and stood up not bothering to wipe away the tears and just threw herself at her husband and just cried her eyes out " I've lost my children I have lost everything and now I only have one daughter left" She sobbed.