Chapter IX: Team RWBY

(F/N) turns to find himself face to face with the same girl that squealed earlier. Standing just behind her are her teammates. Yang, the blonde that inquired about (F/N)'s identity at the beginning of the match, Weiss, whom he had just fought, and another girl with long black hair, whose identity still remained unknown to him.

"Uh, thanks." (F/N) mutters.

"I've never seen anything like it!" She continues. "Where'd you get it? Or did you make it? Can it do anything else besides turn into a gun? How many different types of dust can it utilize? What happens if..."

"Hey, Rubes." The blonde says. "Why don't you start by asking his name?"

"Oh, right." The smaller girl blushes. "My name is Ruby Rose, leader of Team RWBY."

"I'm (F/N). (F/N) (L/N)." (F/N) replies. "Is this your team?"

"Uh huh. That's Blake." Ruby says, indicating the girl in black. She then turns and points at the blonde. "That's Yang, she's my..."

"Older sister." (F/N) mutters to himself, having noticed the two's dynamic and Yang's pet name for the younger of the pair.

"What?"

"Sorry. It was nothing."

"Uh, okay. Anyways, that's Yang, my older sister. Ice Queen you've met."

"Hey!" Weiss says indignantly.

"It's nice to meet you all." (F/N) says.

He extends his hand to shake Ruby's, but the young huntress in training grabs it and pulls him closer, bringing the Mortar up to her face, just inches away from her silver eyes.

"So how does this thing work?" Ruby asks, her attention refocused on the arm. "How do you get it to switch between being an arm and being a gun?"

"It's uh, it's complicated." (F/N) responds, gently tugging his arm back in hopes that Ruby will get the hint. She doesn't.

"Well duh. All weapons are complicated. But I've never even seen anything like this before. I mean, Yang's weapons are kinda like it, but not really. Can I get a closer look at the gun?"

"Hey, listen." (F/N) says, prying his arm away. "It's really nice to meet you and all, but my clothes smell like burnt hair and it's starting to get to me. Maybe I can change, and we can talk more later?"

"Aw," Ruby whines, clearly wanting to see more of his arm, "can't you just..."

"Ruby." Her older sister cuts across. "That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you sit with us at lunch?"

"Yeah." (F/N) nods. "Yeah, sounds great."

Ruby, Blake and Yang all head for the doors, but Weiss' destination keeps her on the same path as (F/N). The two make their way backstage, headed for the locker rooms.

"Good fight," (F/N) says in an attempt to break the silence.

Weiss replies with a disgruntled 'hmph'.

"Okay." (F/N) says awkwardly. "You did really well. That downward cut almost got me."

"Stop patronizing me." Weiss says impatiently.

"I wasn't trying to..."

"Your arm surprised me and because of that you managed to get the better of me. It won't happen again."

"You too, huh?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Weiss snaps.

"Hmm? Oh, sorry. It's just, you remind me of your sister." (F/N) chuckles.