Chapter X: The Vytal Carnival

It was a sunny Friday afternoon in the Kingdom of Vale. Beacon's classes had ended several hours in celebration of the upcoming Vytal Festival. Though the tournament was the main event, and wasn't for another few months, the Kingdom was still in a state of celebration. Today marked the arrival of the Vytal Carnival, a large troupe of performers and attractions that always accompanied the Fesitval and would stick around until the Tournament started. The fairgrounds were only open Friday through Sunday however, meaning it was always crowded during those three days. Traditionally, the carnival reserved the first weekend for students of the host Kingdom's huntsmen academy. As of present, the members of Team JNPR, along with (F/N), were strolling through the streets of the Kingdom, the storefronts and many small businesses decked out in celebration.

"Is uh, is Vale usually this... colorful?" (F/N) asks.

"No." Ren answers. "It's decoration for the Vytal Festival."

"The what?"

"The Vytal Festival." Pyrrha repeats, somewhat questioningly. "The celebration that rotates around the Kingdoms every two years."

"Don't forget about the end of the school year death match!" Nora tosses in.

"Death match?" (F/N) says, somewhat concerned.

"She means the tournament." Jaune says. "You do know about the Vytal Tournament, right?"

"Uh, no, no, yeah. Yeah, of course I do." (F/N) says quickly. "But that's not for another few months, right? So, what's with all the decorations?"

"Well," Pyrrha explains, "the students from the other schools will be coming in later, so the Kingdom's preparing for their arrival."

"Ah. I see." (F/N) nods, ducking around two burly men carrying a large ladder. "Is that why classes let out early?"

"No, the other students won't be arriving until tomorrow."

"Then why did classes..."

"Because of the carnival!" Nora shouts with a little jump.

"Carnival?" (F/N) asks excitedly, like a child hearing that Santa would be visiting their school.

"Mmhmm." Pyrrha nods. "The Vytal Carnival arrived earlier today. They'll be open every weekend leading up to the tournament. But they reserve the first weekend for students, and because the other Kingdom's students won't be here until tomorrow, today is exclusively for Beacon students."

"Brilliant!" (F/N) grins. "I haven't been to a carnival in ages!"

"You're in for a treat then." Jaune says. "The Vytal Carnival is the best one there is."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah." Jaune nods. "They've got fire breathers and sword swallowers and the best magicians."

"Don't forget the caramel apples!" Nora says. "They're the size of your head and make you float!"

"How?"

"They're made with trace amounts of dust." Jaune explains. "All the treats are."

"Really?" (F/N) asks, growing more and more excited with every new revelation.

"Yup." Ren nods. "The popcorn makes you sneeze flames and the ice cream makes everything you touch become covered in frost."

"But the best part are the rides." Pyrrha says to which her teammates nod. "They've got roller-coasters that travel over a hundred miles an hour, and a Ferris wheel taller than Beacon tower. It's amazing."

"Well then what are we waiting for?" (F/N) shouts, barely containing his excitement. "Let's go."

Grabbing Pyrrha's hand, (F/N) sprints in the direction of the carnival, the rest of Team JNPR not far behind.