Home

Home (Part Two to Imagination)

2014 © All Rights Reserved

Maria is ready to go home to her new family.

Maria peeked her eyes open, still in her living room. The stench of the blood from her father was invading her nostrils, causing her to crinkle her nose. Her eyes closed again, the blackness comforting her when the view of her living room didn't.

"Why isn't this working?" She uttered, growing frustrated. Her eyes looked towards her father, his pale face in plain view from where she laid on the couch. A hint of guilt hit her. "You did nothing wrong to me, but I had to kill the both of you." She confessed to his dead body.

In her head, she could clearly hear the voice of her father. Why would you want to kill your mother and I?

A tear slid down the side of her face. "You two aren't real." Doubt flashed through her mind. "Are you?" She shook her head. "Of course you aren't real. My real family is waiting for me." Though her mind wasn't as certain as she sounded, she spoke with clear confidence.

Then where are they? Why aren't you with your real family? His nagging voice taunted her mind.

She grew angry. "Shut up!" She yelled, covering her ears with her hands and closing her eyes with slight hope that his voice would leave her alone.

The fact that you're angry tells me you know no one is coming for you.

Maria cried. The salty tears making its way out of her eyes and falling down the sides of her face. Her hair started to get damp from where the tears would land. "Where are you?" She whimpered, hoping for an answer.

The voice of her father faded, no longer there to mess with her mind. She didn't need her dead father's voice to bother her, she was to a point where she didn't believe anyone was coming for her. Maria no longer believed that she'd be going to her real home. It was fake, all a lie to get her to kill her parents. Who was the voice? Was it all in her head? Had she gone mad?

"Don't leave me here with them." She pleaded. The stench of the blood had gotten stronger. Her head felt light, like a leaf in the wind.

Relax. The distorted voice was back. It startled her and brought her heart happiness all at once.

"Where were you? You told me I'd be home." She asked.

And you will be home soon. You need to relax.

"Okay." Maria laid back down on the couch. The excitement made her heart feel as if it were about to pop like a dart to a balloon.

This time when she closed her eyes, she saw a darkness that was like a black hole. It seemed to suck her in. She didn't protest. Her body felt light. It was as if her soul was leaving her body behind. She never felt more alive. The adrenaline she felt reminded her of roller coasters she would ride when going to amusement parks, only the roller coasters were nothing compared to the power of the rush she felt at that very moment. She was traveling at a high speed through a dark tunnel. There was no light to guide her, but trusted it would take her home to where her new family would greet her with open arms, warm hugs, and genuine smiles.

Then it stopped.

Her body rested against a jagged surface. Sharp edges of rocks poked at her back, dirt provided something like a soft bed for her to rest on for the few moments she laid on the ground.

Maria's body arched, her chest lunging upwards as she coughed uncontrollably. Her throat became sore from the hacks and coughs. She opened her eyes, not yet paying attention to her surroundings. From her throat, she threw up a black tar. It continued on until she felt like she was going to pass out and her esophagus was about to tear.