8.4K 471 41

| R I G H T N E X T T O Y O U |
+
0 . 9

     Joseph left an uncomfortably large gap in between him and Lark on their tree stump

     Joseph left an uncomfortably large gap in between him and Lark on their tree stump. He was angry, but for reasons he couldn't even understand for himself. He'd seen Lark holding hands with Patty Meyers.

     But wasn't Lark homosexual? Or had everyone been mistaken. Was Andy Philips lying, after all?

     "Hey, Ellington," Lark attempted a small slip closer, but it resulted in him receiving a stink eye. "What's with the frown?"

     Joseph didn't answer, only merely rolling his eyes. What a liar.

     With the dance coming up in only two weeks, as of this second, he'd take pleasure in watching Lark Reyes splutter in red, blaring paint—just as Bobby had described. The mere thought was so enticing, Joseph felt as though he was floating atop of cloud nine.

     But in reality, he was sitting only inches away from the lying boy.

     But why was he so upset? Even if Lark was lying about his sexuality—it shouldn't matter to someone like Joseph Ellington; a mere grasshopper, so handsome, and diligent.

     Lark used to think it was all a load of crap. Until he met Joseph Ellington. Although, even he could say—he was still in the middle of figuring him out, and he wasn't yet ready to give up.

      "I don't think you should go to the dance." The words left Joseph's lips in a slight whisper. Was he being serious? Of course not. If Bobby Stinger found out he was trying to save Lark Reyes from the red eruption—he'd be stripped of popularity privileges.

     And what was a life where there was a seventy percent chance of receiving a swirly every lunch period?

     A horrific one.

     "And why not? I was actually looking forward to going with Patty Meyers—"

     "Patty Meyers is a freak—sorry to break it to you, Reyes. It would be the end of your social cloud if you went with her."

     "What 'social cloud'?" Lark laughed aloud. "You're the one whose rein is bound to end once you step foot into the gymnasium with Betty Lee on your arm."

     "Betty Lee's a great girl," Joseph argued, turning to look Lark in the eye with a clench of both fists. "And I actually like her—and that's something you'll never understand."

     Lark's heart fell into his stomach at Joseph's harsh words. And just when the two began to get along. So, he hopped from the stump, grimacing at Joseph's look of no remorse. Why had he even bothered to make conversation? A friendship between the two was a lost cause before it had even began.

      "Then, I guess I'll see you at the dance, Ellington."