0 . 2 0

| R I G H T N E X T T O Y O U |
+
0 . 2 0

     Lark wanted to crawl into a corner, an invisible corner, that kept him hidden from worlds issues and problematic sophomores like Bobby Stinger

     But there Bobby was, standing before Lark with a clenched fist, ready to pounce. That was, until Troy Mavis made his way over, a panicked look on his face. He grabbed onto Bobby's shoulder, leaning in closely to whisper.

     "You know that if you get into one more fight, they'll send you away, Bobby. So walk away. Please." Troy looked up at Bobby with pleading eyes, and lips quivering fear.

     But fear for what? Fear for Bobby being sent away? If getting slammed into his locker, meant that Bobby got sent away—then so be it. But Troy didn't seem to share Lark's logic.

     He held onto Bobby's shoulder with a stark-like grip, eyes pleading. "Whatever it is, let it go."

     Bobby finally glanced down at Troy, his breathing regulating, and fists unclenching. Had Troy mumbled something to make Bobby calm down? Or the two of them just that close?

     Lark didn't care. He was just happy Troy had gotten Bobby to stand down, and not cause a scene nor land Lark in the hospital.

     The two walked away, leaving Lark with a shocked expression, yet a grateful heart. He had assumed Troy hated him, too. Maybe, he did—maybe today was a special sort of occasion.

     And he couldn't wait to tell Joseph all about it.

Patty Meyers was a special kind of girl, Joseph figured this out when he saw just how tiny she was at the Homecoming dance. But with a short girl like Patty, she'd made Lark seem like a giant.

     And not that Lark was necessarily small—Jospeh liked him that way. He was cute, and reachable, and just easy to hold whenever wanted.

     That evening, while sitting beside one another on the stump, legs dangling and fingers interlocked, Lark had spilled all that happened with Bobby and Troy in the hallway.

     And Joseph was not happy about it.

     "It's fine," Lark tried his best to nurse Joseph back to happiness, but the boy beside him was now seething in anger. "It's fine, Joe. Don't get so worked up over it—it's over now."

     "Is it?" Joseph spat, turning to Lark. "Because I know Bobby—and one of these days, he'll either do something stupid or say something stupid. And when that happens, I'd really like it to be to anyone but you."

     Lark tried his best to console Joseph, but the taller, brunet boy wasn't having any of it. He jumped from the stump, jaw clenching and fists following suit. "I need to get home. We'll talk later."

     With Joseph walking away, Lark's couldn't help but feel horrible for the way they'd left things. Maybe telling Joseph wasn't such a good idea, after all?