Not That (Ethan x Reader)

Walking through the sweets aisle with your best friend and roommate, Mr. Etan Nesquick, at Walmart for a snack run at three in the morning, you can't help but feel slightly bitter about your chronic loneliness on Valentine's Day.

So, as per usual, you voice your concerns to Ethan. "Ugh, I wish friends could go on Valentine's Day dates. They always have the best prosecco and cake deals—look at that, it's so cute! And they give you candles... Why do couples get all the good stuff? It's not fair!"

"What're you talking about, Y/N?" Ethan laughs, "If you're single, that means you can just buy this stuff yourself and don't have to worry about sharing it with someone. How is that not a win?"

"I guess you're right," you sigh dejectedly. It wasn't just the lack gifts that got you down about this ridiculous holiday; sometimes it's nice to just be appreciated by another human being. Is that too much to ask?

Noticing how quiet you're being—something that isn't very normal when the two of you together, he glances over at you, only to find you staring rather intensely at the box of heart-shaped Ding Dongs in front of you. "Y/N?"

"Hmm?" you hum, not really paying attention to the world around you.

"You okay?"

Your eyes dart away from Little Debbie and force the same smile that is ever-present on her face, onto yours. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, first of all, you just got all existential on me just a minute ago, and secondly, you look like the Joker with that weird grin thing you're wearing." Ethan chuckles nervously, obviously disturbed by your expression.

You step toward him slowly. Some would even call it... Menacing. "What are you talking about, Ethan? This is how I look all the time. Haven't you noticed?"

"Definitely," he replies sarcastically. You begin cackling like the sleep-deprived maniac that you are, trying your best to intimidate him. You knew that you failed miserably when he pushed you away by the forehead once you were in arm's reach, but it was worth a shot.

"What if..." you muse quietly, mostly to yourself, "We went on a Valentine's date?"

"What'd you say?" Ethan asks.

You're a little bit louder this time, knowing that if there was any time to do this, it would be now. "...Do you want to go on a Valentine's Day date with me?"

"As in, like, a friend-date?" He gasps very dramatically, very suddenly before stage-whispering, "Are we going to have Pal-entine's Day?"

You roll your eyes at his ridiculousness. "I mean, if you want it to be, it can be. But it could also be... Not that."

"What is a not that?"

"A not that is where we possibly maybe rent some movies, buy each other some over-priced chocolate and candles, and... See what happens?"

"Not that's sound amazing."

"So... Is that a yes?"

He tosses you the box of cakes you were burning holes into with your eyes earlier. "What do you think?"

**************************

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm taking a bunch of Valentine's themed requests right now on Tumblr! This is the only one I've gotten thus far, so feel free to either send me something on here or on there! :)   Here's a list of the people I'm writing for (a friend is also going to write some stuff that I can't):

Let me know if you guys want me to post the prompt list! (also, if you guys go to my Tumblr, make sure to check out Still Holding On---it's an original I'm posting only on there, with new parts every Sunday!)