Chapter 1: The Promise

Wattpad Edition /  License Notes
Thank you for downloading/reading this ebook. This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This book remains the copyrighted property of the author, and may not be redistributed to others for commercial or non-commercial purposes in any format.  This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person,please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you're reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to your favorite ebook retailer and purchase your own copy. If you enjoyed this book, please encourage your friends to download their own copy from their favorite authorized retailer Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

***********************************************************************************************

Chapter 1 The Promise

"Mum..mum..mummy..mummy!" Jack shouted from the lounge, pushing his red hair out of his face, nagging his mother. Mrs Miller knew her son a bit too well to get sucked in to his antics. Mrs Miller turned to Mia instead "Mia, what does your brother want?". Mia, a fourth grader rolled her bright blue eyes at her mother and looked at Mrs Miller "Unbelievable mum. You promised Jack if he had kept his grades up and you didn't get called to school for his mischiefs, you would reward him with his choice."

"Of course, I remember that Mia and I also remember the list of things that Jack had gotten in trouble for over the year." As she tried remembering if there was a time Jack had gotten into trouble that year.

Meanwhile Jack continued "mum..mum..mummy, are you even listening?" all the while his gaze not straying from his favorite game character Sub-Zero who was fighting his opponent Shang Tsung, controlled by Oliver in their new recent hobby of playing Mortal Kombat. Jack and Oliver's fingers were beginning to cramp but neither showed any signs of taking it easy while battling on-screen.

Earlier that year, Oliver Smith, Jacks best buddy from elementary school had also joined Yetmore Middle School with Jack. They were in the same class much to their joy. As such both the boys had made a pact, that this year they would get what they wanted, whatever it took. Even it meant that they go without mischief for the year.

Oliver promised Jack that he would help him keep his promise and Jack promised Oliver that he would not get him into trouble. So both the boys, sat at down at recess in their new school one day and made a list of things that had gotten them into trouble. After much deliberation, they both decided that the after school skate park challenges that they had "hosted" and sold tickets for the previous year was definitely something that they should not be continuing. More so since, there was no Skate park challenge actually. The prank had actually cost them more than the fun they had doing it. George had gotten injured trying to show off his stunts to a bunch of random by-standers who he thought were his audience. So they crossed that from their list of "Safe Activities ".

"Fall cycle marathon" was a noble idea indeed, had it been for the actual Kids with Asthma organisation. Luckily the flyers that was put up was damaged in the rain and there was hardly any turnout while Jack and Oliver sat across the park almost gleaming in the Saturday morning sun with mischeivousness.

Oliver chuckled as he crossed out the "Oldies car wash invites" which they had stuck on the windscreen of their principal's car. When it kept flying off, how Jack had climbed onto the bonnet to stick it in between the wiper blades and that nearly caused their principal, his car's paint job.

Amongst almost 10 more items that they crossed off, both looked at each other and said "Boy, do we have some serious pulling up of our socks to do on those!", shaking his head, said Oliver.

Jack's brilliant idea was "Oli mate, do you see what I see in that list? Looking at Oliver with such reassurance of solution. A very puzzled Oliver replied "if you are talking about the paper it is on, then I see it also. If you are talking about the things that we did that got us into trouble, then I see it. If you are talking about anything else Jack, I swear..."

"Ok fine fine. No need for you to get all melodramatic on me. All these things are activities that we did outside " said Jack.

"Great stuff there genius, I would have never guessed we did all that outside " retorted Oliver sarcastically, quite disappointed with Jack's false sounding reassurance.

"Hang on Oliver, before you go all out on me. Since we did all these things outside, what if we planned to remain inside. We may stay out of trouble, totally if we spent most of our time inside" said Jack like a Nobel prize winner giving his speech.

"Now now, if you would care to step out of the spotlight and listen to yourself , it may make some sense to you then. What will we be doing inside, the entire year?"
Just as they heard a loud cheer from the playground where they saw a group of middle-schoolers cheering on at someone playing a portable game.

"Video games" they both said in unison. Oliver said, "We can always play video games after school at my house or yours. I have new titles that dad bought me for my birthday last month and I have not even begun to open it yet. I am still finishing Super Mario that we swapped last year ."

"It is sorted then. We spend our time inside this year, playing video games instead." Jack said, sounding pleased. "Now mum will not be able to say no to me getting my own dog."

After so many months of playing video games when Jack was nagging his mother, she responded,"Yes, Jack. Was there something you needed" asked Mrs Miller, knowing quite well why Jack was being the way he was. She had already told Mr Miller earlier about their small "deal" and he had  arranged for a puppy for Jack. They were yet to pick it up from their neighbourhood animal shelter.

"Mum, you promised. I have been nice this year. Oliver and I have not been into any misconduct. We are about to finish this Mortal Kombat game as well, like the rest of the other games we have been through, all the while being good." Jack said unrelentlessly. "The holidays are almost here. When can we go and see the dogs at the shelter?