Chapter 3: Newmore Animal Shelter

The animal shelter was very popular in the neighborhood. It was absolute favorite for everyone who had even the slightest interest in any animal. They had a large area to house all the animals safely. In order to be self-sufficient, Newmore Animal Shelter had aquariums and also doubled as a zoo occasionally. The shelter sat on a massive plot of land that was surrounded by a natural forest that remained only due to immense pressure that the shelter did to protect it. The state had since declared it as a conservation and it formed part of the shelter where the animals could also experience life in the "wild". A vast river formed part of the forest and it made it easier for the shelter to use it for their amphibious animals for any reason that was necessary.

There was a natural pond to one end of the shelter grounds that had some of the very amazing aquatic life flourishing in it. The public had immensely enjoyed the last open door event themed towards it "Aquatic life also matters", where the public were shown various life forms that the pond housed. There was an indoor tank also that was directly connected with the river water flow. It was highly filtered to keep out and control any offending agents that may be present in the river otherwise. It was to nurse injured aquatic life that would otherwise not be able to survive in nature. This is not open to public always to keep out any possibility of change in the sensitively controlled area. There were other remedial tanks in the same section as well that were even more highly contained and controlled. There were breeder tanks as well, amongst other specialized units present, that assisted in repopulating species that may have been on the decline. The shelter also assisted other shelters and zoos with breeding programs of their aquatic animals occasionally.

The usual dog and cat kennels were most often frequented by children and adults alike. The rabbits and hamsters also occupied a small corner at the shelter. Occasionally, parrots and other birds would grace the shelter with their presence before being very quickly adopted by keen bird fans. The shelter also ran a small replica store that sold mostly figurines and memorabilia of most of the animal species that they had had over the years.

Newmore Animal Shelter or NAS as they preferred, opened up the doors to the community from time to time, as a fundraiser for the upkeep of the shelter. This kept the Newmore Animal Shelter afloat and open to any of the animals that needed shelter or looking after from the greater Newmore area.

There were many special events held that kept the children and adults excited. Like the last major fund raiser they did. The shelter had organized a special out-door screening for the movie "Dumbo" and had also "borrowed" a calf, baby elephant for the children's exhibit at the zoo at the shelter. This helped raise the much needed funding and also created awareness amongst the children about the endangered gentle giants.

There were also park benches and tables beside the river for the people to enjoy the animals in their natural habitats. Many families frequented the shelter on hot days and made use of the swimming pool and the river while the animal enthusiasts went about the shelter facilities.

There were many volunteers and workers that kept the shelter running over the years. People from all qualifications and backgrounds, pitched in and assisted to keep it serving the animals and community.

Dr Sophie Taylor, the Newmore Animal Shelter veterinarian had become a popular animals activist in the area. Her passion for animal protection and her strong stand against animal cruelty had made a her force to reckon with for those who had wronged her non-human counterparts at any point. Apart from seeing the day to day operations of the shelter and organizing the income generation projects that were undertaken by the shelter, Dr Taylor was also a part-time student at the Academy State College where she undertook Anthropology and Celtic studies out of interest in the subject.

Jack had met Dr Taylor on various occasions as he had often stopped by the shelter to admire the animals that were there. Mr Miller had also been an avid supporter of the shelter by sponsoring their events while teaming up with Mr Smith when they were called upon by Dr Taylor during the community outreach programs.

Jack and Oliver had befriended Dr Taylor over the various trips to the shelter. They had volunteered sporadically whenever there was a need. Jack and Oliver had also manned the "Del-i-ceus creams" booth at the last "Dumbo" screening fundraiser sponsored by Mr Smith for the shelter. Mr Jack Miller oversaw the process that the shelter needed for the legal battles that they had earlier fought in converting the forests to conservation. Mr Miller also took care of the import and export documentation and permits required by the shelter for any reason as a pro bono.

The Millers and the Smiths had always put their support behind the shelter and Dr Taylor, just like the other members of the community. Like they sometimes did, Jack and Oliver made their way for the shelter.