Chapter 7: Miles

Chapter 7: Miles

The dog looked up at Jack with such beautiful large hazel eyes. It was a beagle. It was white mostly all over with large black circular spots on its back, brown near the snout and mouth and a huge brown spot in between the eyes. It might not have been much older than a year at the most. It seemed to be the exact kind that was in the brochure, Jack concluded to himself. Maybe it got lost last night, and is now returning to the shelter.

Jack whistled out to him as it stood staring back at Jack. Then Jack noticed that the dog had something dangling from his mouth. Jack called and whistled for the dog and it started wagging its tail as it seemed to gain confidence in the battered human kid in front of him. The dog walked towards Jack, shaking off the water from its coat which hardly seemed drenched to begin with.

Jack patted its head gently, as it came to him. It became comfortable around Jack as it sat down with something still dangling from its mouth. Jack looked closely at it and it seemed familiar. It looked like his chain, the one that he had lost earlier that day. He held onto the chain that was dangling from the dog's mouth and once the dog opened its mouth, Jack pulled it out.

He quickly rinsed the saliva from the chain but was rather dismayed that there was no tag on the chain anymore. As Jack sat down again on the bench, he felt something warm in his pant pocket. He took out the francium coin that was in the pocket, which was glowing a bit more now than before. As he took the coin in his hand and looked around, he saw that the dog was actually looking a bit different than before.

He now seemed to have a dog collar around its neck and also a name tag on it. As Jack went closer to the dog to read what was written on the dog collar, it appeared that the writing seemed familiar to him somehow. It read:

<爪丨ㄥ乇丂>

on its tag. Jack read the name aloud "Miles, your name is Miles" holding onto the tag and closely examining it.

As Jack said that name, while holding the francium coin in his hand and holding onto the dog tag and collar, he saw something appear on the dog's back and climbed the neck onto the head.

Jack was taken aback with astonishment. Looking up at him was a creature of sorts that looked very much like a human, yet definitely was not human since it was riding on the back of the dogs head, pretty much like a saddled horse except without the saddles. And without the horse and on the head instead. The dog dwarfed this mini-human version of human greatly as it seemed to hover above the dog's head.

The beagle look-alike dog, looked more threatening now as it stood their in its full glamour. It seemed to have wings. It enclosed itself with its wings into that dog form which gave it the resemblance of the dog when fully folded in. The legs looked muscular and deadly with the sharp claws on its end. Like its nails  were on steroids. It stood there with its tail up in the air and not wagging at all, as if standing at attention in the parade. Even the tail appeared more like a weapon than a tail, somewhat like a scorpions tail ready to charge at demand, with spikes around the bolus end of the tail making it look like a club rather than a tail.

Jack looked again at the thing that stood where the mild mannered beagle stood a while ago and thought to himself. I must have hit my head really hard this morning, I guess. Rubbed his eyes and looked again at the dog. It still looked the same but very vaguely like the beagle he had seen that had jumped out from the bushes. "Ok, Jack, relax. So what I am seeing is actually really there and I am not imagining it."

Jack bent down to the creature that was on the dogs head, to have a closer look. The small version of a man that it looked like, stood up on top of the dogs head. It must have been around 5 inches at the very most. It was trying to say something to Jack. It was pointing at the dogs collar tag and making circular motions in the air and pointing to Jack's pocket and then pointing it to his head on the side.